Technical Specialists - British Columbia
ISM CANADABritish Columbia13 days ago
Closing Date: April 17, 2021
Pay Range: 24
Number of Positions: 4
Bi-Weekly Salary: $3103.23 to $3555.88
Bi-weekly Work Schedule: 75 hours
Location: Regional, BC
Job Type: Regular Full Time
· The Technical Specialist works as a member of a specialized technical team in the area of server support, workstation support and project delivery. The position provides technical support for servers and workstations across government and the broader public sector including the full range of technical services. The position responsibilities include maintaining the support of VMWare, operating systems, installing operating systems software, managing and maintaining layered products, installing and upgrading hardware, providing a test environment, applying approved patches to operating systems and maintaining fallback procedures and processes.
· The Technical Specialist works to enhance and maintain the customer’s desktop infrastructure, affecting services provided to all government ministries and agencies. The incumbent manages and controls project and service delivery in a distributed IT infrastructure support system, including centrally located service desks and support staff, as well as distributed support staff and contractors deployed to client ministry sites throughout the province. The position provides coordination and technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: Server Maintenance and Administration, Citrix Maintenance and Administration, SCCM Maintenance and Administration, Imaging and/or Packaging.
· Determines the most appropriate hardware, operating systems, or server/desktop configurations for information technology projects. Analyzes customer service requests and conducts technical and procedural analysis including risk analysis. • Designs and develops appropriate technical, business and/or procedural solutions to meet client needs. • Designs, develops and documents cross-government technical support specifications. • Ensures implications of systems changes are understood by users and other systems professionals. • Conducts rollout planning, testing and scheduling of application and operating system deployments to ensure quality assurance of end product, including unit testing and systems integration. Receives and prioritizes service requests for systems changes and additions. Assigns tasks to team members as required. Manages Incidents within the incident management toolset. Monitors queues for new incidents, analyzes tickets, assesses and assigns tickets as required. Provides highest level technical support for incidents including liaison with vendor as required. • Conducts daily monitoring and maintenance of system infrastructure, applications and operating systems. • Participates/leads projects including determining resource requirements. Develops project implementation plans, tracks progress of activities and negotiates changes to plans with project sponsors. Reviews all detailed systems specifications, schedules and implementation plans produced by team members. • Identifies emerging desktop issues, evaluates software and operating system threats and sources or develops fixes. • Identifies emerging trends in server and desktop computing, communications, research and develops new product offerings. • Executes Problem and Change Management process for all server and desktop problems and changes. • Performs Windows Logical Volume planning and configuration; paging space definition and management; print queue definition and management; schedule and manage system-related batch jobs. • Provides technical support, advice, and guidance for the delivery of effective business solutions. • Reviews and tests business solutions, operating systems and software application releases ensuring system and data integrity and functionality. • Provides full documentation including infrastructure and application change reports, user documentation, Technical Information Bulletins, etc., and assists with the development of policy, guidelines and standards. • Researches technology; monitors and assesses vendor advisories, industry trends and best practices; meets and works with vendors; develops and documents technology and service strategies; performs feasibility studies; recommends technology. • Participates in special or unexpected projects as assigned including disaster recovery tests and declarations as per customer contract.
· FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: Prepares quotes for projects.
· DIRECT SUPERVISION: No direct supervision.
· PROJECT/TEAM LEADERSHIP OR TRAINING: Leads and provides direction to teams as required. Provides formal/informal training to team members and other business units.
MANDATORY EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
· A. Related degree or an equivalent combination of relevant experience, education and/or training.
B. Experience in the following:
· Technical project planning and coordination of hardware and/or software business solutions in a LAN/WAN Microsoft Windows environment.
· Experience with configuring and administering Service Management software suites such as IBM Service Manager
· Experience with Enterprise Mobile Management products such as Airwatch or In-Tune is an asset
· Analyzing and resolving complex Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft Office suite of products, and TCP/IP Network problems.
· Technical experience in or administration of one or more of the following technology disciplines:
· Advanced Microsoft Operating System configuration such as Group Policy, Active Directory, or creating images for enterprise deployment
· Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 or higher (or equivalent product) • Software Packaging Tools (E.g. InstallShield, Wise).
· Software development using Microsoft tools and languages
· ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
· Project Management • Plan, organize, and lead moderate to complex technical projects, from initiation through to implementation, effectively and within time and resource constraints and taking into consideration your own and others workloads, shifting constraints, impacts and priorities as well as client and company objectives as applicable.
· Communication • Ability to prepare, edit, and proof-read a variety of written materials including technical materials such as project plans, charters, reports and/or manuals, efficiently, effectively and at a level appropriate to diverse audiences and within established guidelines. • Ability to present information to audiences, responding appropriately to on-the-spot questions without pre-scripted responses while maintaining credibility and integrity.
· Interpersonal Communication
· • Deal effectively with resistant, demanding and sometimes frustrated individuals or groups at various levels within the client organization, remaining focused on outcomes, and responding appropriately in order to: provide or obtain information including information they may not wish to hear; clarify or resolve issues; provide assistance or service; achieve co-operation; elicit assistance; or ensure compliance. • As a member of a team, ability to contribute to group objectives and enhance output in a team environment through cooperation and interaction, active and full contribution, acknowledging diverse opinions, collaboration.
· Organizational • Organize and manage one's fluctuating workload effectively, efficiently and independently in a variety of operational settings, achieving results within acceptable time frames taking into consideration changing priorities, deadlines, workload, available resources and/or reporting relationships while sharing information and/or significant issues with colleagues, clients and supervisors. • Determine a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps, and by planning and resourcing each of these.
· Research/Analyze & Investigate • Analyze business and technical problems, situations and issues systematically, identify options, draw logical conclusions and sound inferences, and develop effective, appropriate courses of action using innovation, creativity, good judgment and strategic thinking. • Apply high quality standards to all tasks in hand, paying attention to detail, no matter how small, and ensuring that nothing is overlooked. • Conduct investigations and research related to complex issues to gather pertinent facts, • Information Systems/Business Technology • Use computer technology to ensure high level of efficiency in accomplishing work by using fundamental software applications, keeping abreast of changes, integrating technology into the workplace and operating and monitoring computers. • Apply information technology to find effective solutions to business problems. • Maintain the customer’s hardware, software and operating systems. • Administration and monitoring the operations of the service delivery infrastructure platforms.
- An excellent communicator able to connect with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds, both orally and in writing, and discuss complex and technical information at an appropriate level with the goal of providing a service.
- An individual able to deal effectively with resistant, demanding and sometimes frustrated individuals or groups at various levels within the customer organization while remaining focused on outcomes, and responding appropriately.
- A team player willing to contribute to the team objectives by providing assistance or service to other team members and resolving issues that affect the team.
- A proactive individual who organizes and manages fluctuating workload effectively, efficiently and independently in a variety of operational settings, achieving results within the assigned time frames.
- An individual who enjoys research and investigation. It includes assessing problems and situations, referring to applicable policies and guidelines, and identifying practical and creative options to develop or recommend appropriate courses of action.
- A resourceful individual who applies information technology to efficiently troubleshoot a variety of hardware and software problems with computers, printers, peripherals and handheld devices A customer-oriented individual committed to quality of work and service excellence
Additional information for applicants:
In order to be considered for this position, you must complete a mandatory pre-screening questionnaire. Please make sure you provide detailed information as ISM cannot make assumptions about your qualifications.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined in the Position Requirements section above.
This position can be done virtually, however, the candidate has to reside in the Province of British Columbia, due to the union certification requirements.
An eligibility list might be created.