Supervisor - Infrastructure Design Transportation
City of VictoriaVictoria, BC5 months ago
Posting Closing date: February 9, 2021
Supervisor – Infrastructure Design - Transportation (Continuous)
Engineering and Public Works Department
Coordinate and administer the infrastructure design and construction component of Transportation Infrastructure.
- Coordinate, assign and review and participate in the work of approximately 5 FTE staff involved in the design and project management of projects related to transportation infrastructure; ensure schedules, procedures and established performance and safety standards are met; responsible for full supervision.
- Prepare financial analyses of proposed projects; develop and administer routine and complex projects such as major construction, rehabilitation and repair programs for municipal transportation infrastructure; develop terms of reference; prepare budget proposals, projections and detailed estimates for projects and related activities research and recommend external funding sources such as grants; prepare, review and recommend approval for proposals; conduct team meetings and inspections to review progress and requirements and to ensure procedures and performance standards are met; develop and maintain files and records for projects; apply the principles of Project Management and Contract Administration on large scale and complex construction projects; liaise with consultants, developers, other departments and outside agencies as required; provide advice and guidance to management and staff and liaise with Finance Department in relation to budgetary items and grant applications.
- Liaise with and direct the work of consultants, contractors and engineers on project design, development and standards, construction or renovation projects; conduct inspections of construction sites to ensure design and specifications and safety standards; liaise with and provide information to community associations and outside agencies on project requirements, progress and budgets; lead public open houses; respond to enquiries from other departments; prepare and assist in the presentation of program proposals to City Council and other departments for information or approval.
- Work with Supply Management Services on project requisitions; recommend on service delivery of work assignments; prepare requests for proposals and related documents in accordance with purchasing policy and procedures; assess and make recommendations in the selection and termination of external consultants, contractors and engineers; develop specifications for projects; prepare, review and recommend approval for tenders; ensure project schedules; negotiate and resolve disputes and represent the City in mediation-arbitration as required.
- Participate in the development and implementation of departmental standards, procedures, specifications and long range strategies; prepare cost estimates for annual and special projects; develop annual construction schedules; monitor job cost and verify expenditures; prepare unit cost and progress reports as required.
- Respond to enquiries and complaints from the public, staff and outside agencies regarding municipal projects, infrastructure and environmental problems; coordinate and schedule projects with outside agencies and City departments; investigate damage and accident claims initiated against the City and prepare reports. Perform related duties where qualified.
- Work is performed according to Transportation Infrastructure long term plans and annual construction schedules or is assigned by supervisor.
- Work is reviewed through statistical and progress reports and meetings with supervisor.
- Issues such as specialized designs and major expenditures are discussed with supervisor.
- Physical Effort: Normal.
- Mental Effort: Short periods of intense concentration while performing or reviewing design and infrastructure analysis. (occasional)
- Visual/Auditory Effort: Focus on a variety of financial data, engineering drawings and computer for short periods. (occasional)
- Work Environment: Office. Presence on construction sites while performing inspections. (occasional)
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Organize and prioritize the work of a subsection.
- Understand and apply the principles of construction, design and project management.
- Understand and apply the techniques of financial analysis.
- Advanced level operation of current City advanced spreadsheet, financial and engineering programs.
- Compose and present reports.
- Facilitate public consultation meetings.
- Read and interpret engineering codes, standards and drawings. Maintain accurate records and prepare budgets.
- Supervise a small staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Represent the City to the public and outside agencies.
- Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification: Technical School Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology.
- (2 years) Registration or eligibility to register as an Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T.) with the Applied Science Technologist and Technicians of BC. (ASTTBC)
- Current and valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's Licence.
- Master Municipal Contract Documents Administrator’s Course – Certified Contract Administrator. (16 hours plus exam time)
- Accredited courses in leadership and management studies. (1 year)
- Experience: 5 years of related experience including design, project management and supervisory experience. or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
- Work schedule: Monday – Friday, 35-hour work week, 8:00am – 4:00pm
- $50.06 per hour, Pay Grade 17 Job Code #4186
This is a CUPE Local 50 Position To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered.
All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume City of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law. We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment cycle and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at HR@victoria.ca