University of Victoria -> Continuing Studies
Posting Close Date: 14 January 2022
Please note that positions will close at 4 p.m. on the closing date.
Salary Grade $3,971.00 - $4,090.00
Additional Posting Information: Limited to internal applications - Salary posted reflects full FTE (will be prorated for part time)
Hours of Work 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Employee Group: CUPE 951 - Regular
# of Hires Needed: 1
Administrative and Support Services
About this Opportunity
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Student Services Admissions, the Student Services Admissions & Immigration Assistant responds to a broad range of queries from agents, students, parents and staff, including in-person, telephone and email communications regarding immigration related topics. A key function is providing support and non-academic advising for international students. The position provides assistance in the admission process for International Students entering the Pathways Program.
- Outgoing and personable with a demonstrated ability in providing excellent customer service
- A genuine interest in the student experience
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to determine when a problem needs to be taken to a higher authority
- Highly customer-service oriented with the ability to represent DCS in a professional manner, exercising good judgment, confidentiality, diplomacy and tact
- Working under pressure, and ability to handle tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually, with limited supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required to relate effectively as a team, with students, instructors, the university community, and the public
- Ability to defuse tense or unpleasant situations by skillful communication and interaction
- Excellent clerical skills with a high degree of accuracy together with the ability to multi-task and
- complete tasks within firm deadlines; superior organizational skills are essential
- A proven ability to handle a high volume of email and phone correspondence on a daily basis.
- Ability to prioritize and plan workload often under pressure of deadlines and interruptions in a busy environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to be socially and culturally responsive
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent and some related post-secondary course work
- 3 years recent experience working in a similar position, preferably in a post-secondary or institutional environment.
Related work experience should include:
- Administrative office duties including providing first-point-of contact support and customer service.
- Providing guidance and information regarding immigration issues for students
- Interpreting and/or applying policy and with complex information systems such as financial, customer accounts or student registration systems
Preference will be given to applicants with experience with:
- Understanding of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) as it relates to student records, as well as the ethical and confidentiality guidelines of the institution
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Equity and Diversity Statement
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
COVID 19 On-Campus Requirements