AccorVictoria, BC3 months ago
As Sous Chef, at the Empress, your creative flair and passion for food will assist to train and manage your culinary team to superior food experiences for our guests.
Fairmont Empress is the destination in Victoria, located in the centre of Victoria's sparkling Inner Harbour. Our 464 room hotel with beautiful turn of the century architecture complements our warm and engaging service of turning moments into memories for our guests. This is an amazing opportunity to join our team as we embark on major renovations and repositioning.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Sous Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversees daily kitchen operation at the Empress and sets direction of culinary department in conjunction with the Executive Sous Chef
- Main focus on F&B Outlet operations and PR including Q, In Room Dining, Fairmont Gold and Banquet operations
- Assist the Executive Sous Chef in preparation of financial forecasts and budgets; instrumental in taking steps to assist the division in exceeding Food and Beverage financial targets
- Ensuring proper inventory control and ordering practices are utilized
- Assist the Executive Chef in meeting or exceeding goals as identified through employee engagement surveys.
- Leading initiatives to guarantee Guest Satisfaction Scores are overachieved
- Training and development of culinary team members with emphasis on team leads, food presentation and preparation methods
- In conjunction with other leaders, the Sous Chef will ensure the kitchen is maintained in optimum condition
- Participate in training for Front Of House team
- Active role engaging in Social Media and PR activities
- Represent the Empress at events
- Instrumental in running a department that meets Health & Safety committee objectives as well as compliance with EcoSure
- Highly involved in building relationships with local vendors
- Lead the kitchen in the absence of the Executive sous Chef
- Will be the key player in menu development and implementation of outlet menus with consideration to outlet concept, food trends & food cost
- Actively involved in kitchen and department head meetings
- This position is ideally suited to the individual who sees this position leading to an Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef role in the future
- Sous Chef of comparable experience for a minimum of 5 years
- Experience managing in a unionized environment is considered an asset
- Valid trade qualifications
- Exceptional organization skills to manage multiple outlets
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, customer service driven environment
- A team player with the ability to train, coach and motivate employees.
- Product and quality obsessed with good knowledge in menu engineering and design.
- Previous experience scheduling a brigade of 12+
- Basic understanding of labour costs and productivity
- Versed on calculation of food cost; Experience with conducting food inventories and understanding of inventory turn-over
- Understanding of safe work practices and initiatives to reduce or eliminate accidents
- Self-motivated, detail oriented and well organized with creative flair.
- Must be current with culinary trends, concepts, practices and procedures
Visa Requirements: Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
Why Work for Accor?
We are 300,000 experts committed to reinventing hospitality with unique and unrivalled experiences within our addresses. We’re so much more than hotels— We are a worldwide Augmented Hospitality leader. We’re creating innovative lifestyle experiences, whether you live, work or play. Blaze your own trail from 30+ hotel brands, restaurants, nightclubs, spas, co-working spaces, and tech start-ups.
To connect with us, please visit careers.accor.com.