The Vancouver Island Drug Checking project is a team of chemists, social workers, and computer scientists that aim to bring technological innovation to harm reduction. Using a suite of chemical analytical instruments, the goal is to provide information on the full composition and potency of illicit drugs to help people make informed choices. Current initiatives include developing new drug checking hardware alongside software and algorithms for analysis and reporting. This is a full-time grant-funded position, renewable after 1 year subject to the availability of funding.
Summary of qualifications:
This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or another relevant discipline, with preference given to candidates with experience in software development, micro-services deployment, and system administration.
- Candidates must have experience with Python and HTML/CSS/JS
- Knowledge of web frameworks (e.g. Django), SQL databases, containers (e.g. Docker) and Linux are also necessary
- Experience with Kubernetes and the Jupyter ecosystem are an asset
In addition, this position requires:
- High degree of attention to detail, as is the ability to understand complex technical concepts
- High level of problem-solving abilities; must be able to effectively identify and resolve unusual and highly complex technical problems
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited direction
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to mentor and coach technical staff and teams, and act as a resource
- Ability to successfully contribute to complex projects: develop project work plans; monitor and direct the activities of a project team
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience in working in a research environment will be considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Some awareness about harm reduction and the ongoing overdose public health emergency is an asset.
Please send a CV, cover letter that highlights related experience to Dennis Hore by email: email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed after 20 November 2022, and the position will remain open until filled.