Software Developer, Custom Implementations & Managed Services
At VertiGIS, we build powerful GIS software. Our portfolio of products, solutions, and services enhance the capabilities of leading mapping software, most notably Esri’s ArcGIS. For decades, professionals have relied upon us to overcome complex technical challenges so that they can make a significant impact in the world.
VertiGIS offers challenging and meaningful careers. Our employees help make a difference in the world through our technologies. We believe every individual contributes to a company’s culture through attitude, interests, and skills. Our teams are comprised of passionate, high-performing individuals that come from a diverse set of educational, cultural, and professional backgrounds. Together we strive to do great work, support each other in growth, and have fun!
Over a thousand organizations around the world rely on VertiGIS Studio to design, develop, and maintain web-based mapping applications. We believe geographic information over the web can empower people to make better decisions about their lives, society, and the world around us. You can help us make a difference.
This position offers the opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies as part of our Professional Services team. Our software developers love solving complex, real world problems for our customers in varying industries. Experience is preferred; enthusiasm and curiosity are required!
You will quickly become an expert in delivering solutions built with Esri mapping and VertiGIS Studio tools such as Workflow, Web, and Mobile. These solutions help our customers overcome real-world problems. Want to know more? Please ask us!
Also, our Managed Services department is growing. Do you have a specific interest in architecting and deploying cutting edge cloud solutions in AWS and Azure? This position has the potential to undertake responsibilities in that area and grow with a rapidly expanding business.
- Designing and developing customized web-GIS applications for clients to use on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
- Extending the ArcGIS Platform using the VertiGIS Studio products framework
- Acting as a trusted advisor to our clients all over the world
- Some server/network administration and troubleshooting
- Collaborating with a development team through the lifecycle of a project
- Creating clear and functional tests
The ideal candidate:
- Loves working with customers to create solutions for their problems
- Thrives in an environment where they may be tasked to multiple projects at a time
- Is continually learning about new technologies and adapting their approach to solving problems
- Enjoys occasional business travel to client sites (not mandatory)
- Creates and fosters great relationships across different organizations
- Knowledge of SQL
- Understand the basics of web hosting and content delivery (HTTP)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
Would love to see:
- 3 or more years of development experience
- Exposure and familiarity with GIS concepts
- Considered a bonus if you are familiar with cloud hosting providers (AWS, Azure), networking, and security best practices
Team / Career Growth
- Top-notch colleagues that like and respect one another
- We listen to peoples' ideas—and act on them
- A supportive environment with opportunity for training, professional development, and advancement
- Challenging, interesting work
- Cutting edge technology that improves the world around us
- Bottomless book budget
- Company summer and winter parties (that are fun to attend)
- We're recognized experts in our field—people around the world seek us out
- Our clients like us
- We're debt-free and profitable
- Fair, equitable salaries, a good group benefits program, health spending account, RRSP matching, and profit sharing
- A hybrid working model allowing employees to split time between the office and home
- A central downtown office location overlooking Victoria's Inner Harbour
- An amazing rooftop patio (complete with BBQ)
- Secure bike storage and showers
- Lunchtime yoga on Wednesdays and Fridays
- Thursday lunchtime speakers (with lunch included)
- Healthy snacks
- Good coffee (we know how important this is)
We’re a great place to build your career.
Our colleagues are great people and make our company the kind of place we enjoy coming to every day. We reward top performers and stay true to our core values. Since 1999, we’ve built our business based on steady, sustainable growth – we’re still growing and our future is bright!
Note: To avoid potential formatting issues, we require that you submit your resume and cover letter as PDF files.
Note: We use a recruitment tool to reach out to candidates so please check your inbox to ensure our emails are not being filtered as "Social" or "Promotions" (our provider has been notified).