Senior/Intermediate Software Developer (C/C++) - HYBRID - Quester Tangent Corporation
Join the Quester Tangent Team!
Today’s passenger trains contain dozens of electronic control units that communicate through Ethernet and Wi-Fi networks. Quester Tangent is an established but growing Canadian company that designs and manufactures train control and monitoring systems and passenger information systems that are an integral part of these networks.
Join our team and help create innovative products used on rapid transit and subway lines in major cities across North America and around the world!
Additionally, this role includes an optional hybrid work plan that incorporates a mixture of in-office and remote work in an employee's schedule with potential for full-time remote work.
Quester Tangent is seeking an Intermediate/Senior Software Developer with a solid understanding of C++ and data driven, event based architectures to support the development for our on-train and testing applications. You will get to work with a cross discipline team developing heterogeneous solution comprised of various hardware and software components. As a software developer, you will be involved in all stages of the software product development lifecycle with emphasis on conformance, reliability, testability and maintainability. You will design, implement, test and document to ensure the software meets technical requirements and applicable standards.
This position will be adapted to meet the abilities of the successful applicant. The applicant with significant training and experience will be given the challenges and responsibility to match their abilities.
How you will spend your day:
Designing, implementing, testing and debugging C++ on-train application software in a Linux environment on ARM targets. This includes new development and maintenance on an existing code base.
Working directly with the Software Product Owner to determine scope of requirements, design and implementation strategies.
Coordination and collaboration with software development team members and internal stakeholders
Providing mentoring to less senior developers through direct conversations and code reviews
Preparing requirements, design, and test documentation to IEEE 1558 software standards.
Implementing unit and integration level test suites for incorporation into automated test infrastructure.
What you will need to succeed:
- Diploma or degree in Software or Computer Engineering, Computer Science; or related experience
- 8+ years product development experience coding and debugging in C++
- 5+ years using C++11 or newer
- Experience with software version control (e.g. SVN, git, Perforce)
- Solid understanding of real-time computing in a multi-threaded environment
- Understanding of design for test, white and black box methodologies.
- Firm understanding of software standards
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to create innovative, yet maintainable and testable solutions
Experiences that will help you thrive:
- Development under Linux OS with use of gdb, valgrind, tcpdump, SSH and similar tools
- Familiarity with IEEE SW standards (1558 applies to rail equipment)
- Perforce Helix revision control system
- Creation of automated test scripts for unit and integration tests
- SQLite RDBMS and/or key-value data storage paradigm
- Familiarity with networking and distributed system concepts
- Application networking software
- Experience with scripting languages
- Ability to work directly with electronics
What we offer:
Quester Tangent is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects all employees as individuals, regardless of age, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, and gender. Diversity brings new ideas, inspires innovation, and strengthens the company.
In support of a health work-life balance, we are proud to offer a full suite of group benefits, personal paid days off, and are located outside of the downtown core in an area surrounded by natural green spaces. We have showers and bicycle racks if you wish to commute by bicycle, free parking if you prefer to drive, and on a major bus route if you prefer public transit.
COVID-19 Update: Strengthening our workforce is the key to meeting our customers’ needs. We continue to hire talented people using safe hiring practices. This includes limiting onsite visitors and prioritizing video interviews. Our on-site protocols have been very effective in keeping our team safe throughout the pandemic. Additionally, this role includes an optional hybrid work plan that incorporates a mixture of in-office and remote work in an employee's schedule.
TO APPLY: please email your resume to email@example.com
*PDF Format and ensure to state for which position you are applying to.