BC Assessment is currently looking for two permanent Senior Financial Analysts to join the Finance department at our Uptown location in Victoria, BC.
BC Assessment is a Provincial Crown Corporation that develops and maintains real property assessments throughout British Columbia in addition to providing real property information. BC Assessment serves the citizens of British Columbia and has 13 offices throughout the province.
In BC Assessment, our people and culture are important to us. We work together to create a culture that appreciates differences in all forms. We trust and respect each other, and are invited to bring our whole selves to work. We are committed to making BC Assessment the best possible place to work, and through our efforts ultimately contribute to a better British Columbia. Our digitally agile, service-centric employees are productive, engaged, and work collaboratively in a modern flexible workplace. Our employees are at the heart of our organization and we are proud to be recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for the ninth year!
We offer competitive benefits for our employees:
- Work-life balance – 35-hour work weeks, hybrid work options and flexible work schedules.
- Public Service Pension Plan – one of the best in Canada, allowing you to plan for your future.
- Health and Wellness - generous extended health and dental benefits through Pacific Blue Cross and an Employee Assistance Program to help support our employees overall well-being.
- Career development – we want you to grow and learn with us! We provide ongoing learning, leadership development and career development scholarship program.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting & Reporting in the Finance Operations Division you will work in preparation and presentation of full cycle accounting, leading planning and preparation of financial information and reporting.
The Finance Operations Division is accountable for all accounting functions including payroll, accounts payable, banking, investments, cash flow management, financial statement preparation, revenue management, taxation, accounts receivable, project accounting, general ledger management, finance division's records management, and financial controls operation.
We’re looking for someone who cares about their work, seeks to find timely and pro-active solutions and who will lead and support the team. Someone who takes initiative, challenges the status quo, embraces change and thrives on collaboration, leading and motivating others to work together to solve problems and accomplish a common goal. Someone who can truly hear your stakeholders, understand the business, and can communicate solutions to all levels within the organization. Communication skills and organizational ability are key to being successful in this role.
You must be able to work collaboratively with a wide variety of people, build teams, and support your team within the organization.
- Coordinate monthly, quarterly and year-end accounting functions which includes journal entries, reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, and period-end close processes.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements including variance analysis and writing Executive and Board Memos.
- Supervise staff and providing effective day-to-day mentorship and training for accounting staff, which includes meaningful and timely performance reviews and regular feedback; sharing and teaching best practices.
- Provide ongoing recommendations towards organizational improvements to increase productivity, simplify and enable automation, and provide timely and relevant reporting.
- Build strong working relationships with open and transparent communication within the team and across the organization, providing education and guidance to the business to support knowledge, awareness, and adherence to generally accepted accounting principles, standards and practices, corporate financial policies, practices and procedures and audit readiness.
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and guidelines.
Location: Victoria, BC – Uptown
Compensation: $71,704.63 - $84,276.95
Competition Close Date: Sunday, November 27th @ 11:59PM
This position is included in the bargaining unit. BC Assessment intends to establish an eligibility list for this competition.
If you are chosen to move forward in the hiring process for this exciting opportunity, you can expect:
- Virtual interviews to take place the week of November 27th
- A recognized accounting designation (e.g. CPA).
- An undergraduate degree in business, management or administration.
- Five (5) years directly-related experience with increasing levels of financial/supervisory responsibility.
- Experience in developing financial reports, preparing budgets, and developing new policies.
- Experience with computerized financial systems in a mid-to large sized organization.
- Experience in developing, evaluating and implementing a variety of financial operations, systems, etc.
- Experience leading and supervising a financial work unit is preferred.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
How do I apply?
- Please complete the full application for this position, including your education, certifications and experience that are relevant to and/or required per the stated qualifications. If you are an internal employee, please ensure that your employee profile contains your relevant education and experience.
- Upload your resume and cover letter; once you submit your application, you will not be able to add documents.
- If a questionnaire is present, please complete it fully. Responses may be used to shortlist candidates against the stated job requirements.
- All BC Assessment employees must live in British Columbia. If you do not currently reside in, or live within commuting distance of the location(s) of the position to which you are applying, please make clear your relocation intentions as part of your cover letter.
Offers of employment are conditional upon a satisfactory Criminal Record Check. All information provided in your application may be subject to verification. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of qualifications and/or supporting documentation (e.g. copies of certificates, diplomas, degrees, driver’s license) as a condition of employment.
BC Assessment is committed to the health and safety of our employees and is taking every precaution against COVID–19 while building connection and collaboration in our hybrid workplace. Effective Nov 26, 2021, BC Assessment requires all employees, as a condition of employment, to be fully vaccinated and to provide Canadian proof of vaccination or a BC Vaccine Card.
At BC Assessment, every person and every voice is important. We are committed to making BC Assessment the best possible place to work and ensuring that our policies and practices are equitable, supportive and pro-active. Our hiring practices reflect this and we are committed to ensuring that our workforce reflects the people of British Columbia. We strive to create an environment where everyone can succeed, free of systemic barriers.