Senior Data Scientist (RES O 30R)
Government of British ColumbiaVictoria, BC2 months ago
Senior Data Scientist
Research Officer R30
An eligibility list may be established.
This position can be performed from multiple communities and the location of the position is negotiable.
We are also actively recruiting for a Data Scientist via Requisition 75966.
An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional
The Ministry of Citizens’ Services performs a dynamic, corporate leadership role in government to support the development of an innovative, modern and robust technology environment; to improve accessible and responsive services and information to citizens; and to provide enabling infrastructure for ministries and the broader public sector to transform how government works on a day-to-day basis.
As a part of the OCIO and the Ministry of Citizen’s Services, the Digital Platforms and Data Division provides the products and services that support government’s digital transformation, data access and continuous improvement of services to citizens. The Division offers programs that enable integration, access and analysis of public sector data (Data Innovation Program and DataBC) and supports cross-government data analysis and data science enhancement and capacity building (Data Science Partnerships).
The Senior Data Scientist (Data Science Partnerships) is an expert in data science, providing team leadership, support and mentorship to data scientists and cross-government teams in the design, development and delivery of data science projects that support significant cross-government priorities. They provide strategic advice and subject matter expertise to senior ministry decision makers, partners and clients on the use and incorporation of data science approaches and best practices for government. They promote and develop data science training opportunities within the government data and digital communities.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Stephanie.Hazlitt@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree in a related field (related education fields may include data science, computer science, GIS, statistics, mathematics, or other relevant field. Preference may be given to applicants with a graduate level degree), AND 4 (four) years of *related experience, OR;
- Diploma in the related field AND 5 (five) years *related experience, OR;
- Certification from a recognized institution in the related field AND 6 (six) years of *related experience, OR;
- 7 (seven) years of *related experience may be considered.
*Related experience must include EACH of the following:
- Recent direct experience conducting analytical research with multiple datasets using a modern programming language.
- Experience leading/coaching multi-disciplinary senior-level professionals in the development and implementation of data science projects.
- Experience identifying and solving complex business problems through applying an evolving range of data science tools and techniques.
- Experience using scientific methods through experimental design, exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing.
- Experience designing, implementing and optimizing repeatable and reproducible data science workflows at scale (e.g., analyses, models or visualizations).
- Experience advising senior decision-makers on strategic and operational business enhancements based on findings of data science projects.
- Experience determining appropriate use of various problem structuring methods and statistical methods for sampling, distribution assessment, bias and error.
Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience with development, production and maintenance of data science tools.
- Experience with one or more data science programming languages, such as R or Python or similar.
- Experience using source code version control with git or similar software.
- Experience with machine learning, natural language processing, clustering and classification techniques to analyze diverse sources of data.
- Experience effectively presenting the results of complex analysis to both technical and non-technical audiences, as well as at the Executive level.
- Must be willing and able to maintain awareness of emerging trends an techniques in data science and statistical modeling.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
CRC - A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES - Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.