Senior Data Analyst - Work Lead
BC TransitVictoria, BCa month ago
e love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too!
We are thrilled you’ve decided to explore a career with us. As a crown corporation and recognized Top Employer in BC, BC Transit is British Columbia's provincial transit authority responsible for transporting 58 million passengers every year, operating 88 transit systems in 130 communities across British Columbia (outside of Greater Vancouver).
We’re passionate about helping to reduce congestion in our communities and bringing innovation to public transportation wherever we can including electrifying our fleet, introducing new bus lanes between Colwood and Downtown and exploring mobile payment options, to name just a few.
It’s an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we’re looking for creative and passionate people to join our team. Not only would you be joining an engaged organization but you’d also get to enjoy flexible work arrangements, extended benefits and a pension plan as just a few of the benefits BC Transit employees are eligible for. Keep reading to find out if this role is meant for you!
What will you do?
As the successful candidate, you’ll be providing guidance, leadership and technical assistance to the Corporate Strategy & Performance team. Stakeholders will look to you for accurate, relevant information to make data driven decisions. This includes performance analysis and reporting of ridership, on-time performance and run-times for transit services, particularly in communities equipped with real-time and automatic passenger counting technology. The team is looking for someone who can analyze and present this data through dashboards and reports, providing insights and data visualization.
You’ll specifically have the opportunity to:
- Lead and manage the design, implementation and maintenance of reports and dashboards within Corporate Strategy & Performance, including report design, process flows, testing and documentation
- Design, implement and document data models to support consistent, maintainable and extensible reporting across multiple departments
- Employ a variety of software platforms, including business intelligence tools and GIS mapping software to deliver information in the appropriate format to provide maximum value to the user
- Collaborate with IT to ensure that the appropriate technology, data and application architectures are in place to meet reporting and information provision objectives, while respecting the expertise of other internal staff
- Collaborate with IT to ensure that data is collected, stored, cleaned and organized in an appropriate manner to facilitate the timely and accurate provision of information to internal and external stakeholders
- Provide expert direction with regards to integrating data and technical platforms and communicate effectively with internal stakeholders, IT staff and external vendors and contractors
- Identify and improve suboptimal processes within Corporate Strategy & Performance, and work with IT to automate key processes by transitioning to more appropriate technical platforms
- Utilize an intimate knowledge of the data collected by BC Transit and combines this data to provide creative solutions to stakeholder requests
- Provide, when necessary, creative solutions and troubleshooting capability to technological issues within the Corporate & Strategic Planning division
- Support the Manager with the development of the ongoing work plan, annual performance reviews and assigning work as required
- Mentor and support other members of Corporate Strategy & Performance to enable ongoing technical knowledge within the team
- Create standard operating procedures to support business continuity and succession planning within the department
- Create quality assurance processes to monitor the quality of data derived from on-board technologies and coordinating with vendors and internal departments as required to ensure that data is of the necessary standard to meet stakeholder information requirements
- Advance the analytical capability of BC Transit by researching and implementing new techniques such as predictive modelling
What education and experience will you need to be successful?
We love lifelong Learners and recommend the following mix of education or certifications to be successful in conjunction with relevant experience:
- Degree in computer science, information management, statistics, or equivalent
- 5+ years experience at a senior analyst level
- 3+ years of data mining, analysis and reporting experience
- Strong relational and dimensional data modeling and database design skills
- Advanced experience in using database programming languages, including Python, SQL and R
- Exceptional ability with reporting and business intelligence tools (especially Power BI)
- Significant experience with ETL, SQL, relational & non-relational databases, data warehouse solutions and cloud data platforms (Azure preferred)
- Experience with data modelling tools (e.g. Oracle SQL Developer), QA tools/concepts and scripting languages
- Experience with GIS mapping software (preferably ArcGIS and QGIS) would be an asset
- Familiarity with providing data and information within the context of the transit industry would be an asset
- Experience in a supervisory capacity, overseeing or coaching the work of small teams or projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead or actively participate in meetings with professional staff and management to present and explain complex technical information to those with limited technical knowledge
- Experience in documentation of business requirements and standard operating procedures
- Strong customer service mentality
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, drive and an ability to thrive in a changing environment
- Strong organizational ability and a capacity to manage and prioritize a number of concurrent tasks
To view the full job description for this role please see the attached.
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC Transit Offers
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Health and Wellness Spending account
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots (not currently open due to COVID-19)
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
We believe that diversity of thought and experience fuels innovation. In keeping with this belief, we do not discriminate on any basis. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
While we welcome all applications, we will only respond directly to those who are short-listed for a role. Thanks in advance for your understanding and wishing you all the best in your career journey.