McElhanney Ltd. seeks a motivated Senior Bridge Engineer with a passion for technical mentorship of junior and intermediate staff and a demonstrated track-record leading challenging bridge projects to join our team in Victoria, BC. The ideal candidate will have experience with the design, rehabilitation, seismic retrofit, and / or evaluation of highway bridge and retaining wall structures for the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure throughout the Province.
The incumbent will have the opportunity to pursue and lead the execution of a variety of bridge projects, procured both through regional / province-wide as-and-when general engineering services (GES) contracts and through standalone multi-disciplinary design projects.
The role is posted for Victoria, however there is the opportunity to join our existing bridge teams in either Vancouver or Kamloops (or possibly our other locations throughout Western Canada). Exceptions will be made for the ideal candidate.
- ResponsibilitiesProvide design, engineering expertise, and senior oversight for bridge projects:
- Bridges, from larger structures to bridge-sized culverts
- Retaining walls and shallow foundation design
- Pedestrian bridge design
- Manage Ministry as-and-when contracts and standalone projects, including:
- Communicate with the Ministry consultant liaison
- Prepare proposals and work plans for individual assignments under GES contracts
- Lead individual assignments, including coordination of staff and external subconsultants
- Prepare monthly status reports and invoicing for contracts
- Participate in strategic planning for the growth of the bridge group
- Supervise and mentor junior staff
- Requirements15+ years’ experience in the design of bridge structures
- Proven technical leadership abilities. Experience or acumen for business development an asset
- Registration in good standing as a P.Eng. in BC, or any other Canadian province or territory
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal as well as a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Previous supervisory experience: proven ability to mentor young professionals
- The ideal candidate will have experience with projects for the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, preferably in a project management and / or technical leadership role
- What Can We Offer You?Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Great benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- A family-like culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Profit sharing through an annual performance bonus program
- Ability to become a shareholder in an employee owned company
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.