Fairmont EmpressVictoria5 days ago
Reporting to the Executive Sous Chef; and working in partnership with the Executive Chef, you will be responsible for the creative direction and execution of the restaurants. Q at the Empress, Q bar, In Room Dining and the Veranda.
You will design menus that reflect the Fairmont Empress’ position as leader in Pacific North West cuisine. Working with the local farmers, fishers and culinary artisans of Vancouver Island, you will curate on brand and trend setting culinary experiences for local and in house guests.
- Lead the day to day operations of the a la carte kitchens, through an active presence on the floor, leading your teams to deliver service excellence
- In collaboration with the other culinary leaders; oversee the entirety of the culinary and stewarding departments. Banqueting, Afternoon Tea, Garde Manger, Fairmont Gold, Staff Cafeteria and ‘Empress at Home’ to go programs.
- Effectively participate in managing the departmental budget through purchasing, inventory management, pricing, and labour cost
- Drive revenue and profit through the development and implementation of menu design, strategies, practices and promotions.
- Maintain food safety and sanitation of the kitchen, through industry leading food safety protocols.
- Highly involved in sourcing products and building relationships with local vendors
- Represent the Empress at external events
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure effective operation of the hotel, and exceptional guest experiences
- Train and lead the culinary team, ensuring they have the skills, training and tools to deliver world class culinary experiences
- Take an active role with FOH leaders to ensure service colleagues are knowledgeable about the menu and can speak with guests comfortably about menu items, ingredients, and techniques.
- Personally engage with guests in the restaurants, ensuring exceptional culinary experiences
- Take initiative to ensure guest satisfaction metrics are met or exceeded, responding personally to guest feedback
- Participate in the recruitment and onboarding of new colleagues
- Promote the growth and development of internal talent
- Pro-actively participate in colleague engagement initiatives
- Active role engaging in Social Media and PR activities by promoting our restaurants within the community, on social media and the press
- Lead the kitchen in the absence of the Executive sous Chef
- Adhere to all Company policies, procedures and values
- Other duties as assigned
This position is ideally suited to the individual who has a demonstrated progressive work history, is ambitious and career minded. With the goal to grow with Accor Hotels, and become an Executive Chef in the future.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Senior Sous Chef, Restaurant Chef or Chef de Cuisine role. A combination of both standalone restaurant and luxury hotel experience is an asset.
- Demonstrated passion for cuisine, guest experience and colleague engagement
- A strong understanding of local food products and culinary tends
- Experience managing in a unionized environment is considered an asset
- Food Safe level 1 or VIHA recognized equivalent certification
- Interprovincial Red Seal or equivalent certification
- Proven organizational skills; managing in a busy multiple outlet environment
- Self-motivated, detail oriented and well organized, Excellent work ethic with a high degree of responsibility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer literate; well versed in Microsoft Office applications
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, customer service driven environment
- A team player with the ability to train, coach, build relationships and motivate employees.
- Practical understanding of productivity and labour cost
- Versed on calculation of food cost; Experience with conducting food inventories and understanding of inventory turn-over
- Understanding of safe work practices and initiatives to reduce or eliminate accidents
- Proven ability to drive revenues and profit, without sacrificing colleague and customer experiences
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities
- Ability to taste all food products
- Ability to physically perform the duties of the Restaurant Chef
Must currently have the legal ability to work in Canada, work visa sponsorship is not available for this position.