Posting Close Date
15 December 2021
Please note that positions will close at 4 p.m. on the closing date.
$3,649.00 - $3,761.00
Additional Posting Information:
Salary posted reflects full FTE (will be prorated for part time)
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30
CUPE 951 - Term
# of Hires Needed
Administrative and Support Services
About this Opportunity
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
In accordance with the University's Equity Plan and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference will be given to members of the following designated group(s). Candidates from the group(s) who wish to qualify for preferential consideration are encouraged to self-identify.
* Persons with disabilities
* Members of visible minorities
* Indigenous Peoples
The Indigenous Governance Program (IGOV) strives to create an extraordinary academic and culturally responsive environment, where students, staff, faculty and community members experience the program as a welcoming, supportive, safe environment in which Indigenous values, language and culture are evident. Situated within a program that has a signficant number of Indigenous students as well as strong ties to Indigenous Communities, the position must have a solid understanding of Indigenous cultures, skills in communicating across difference and must understand and be able to navigate cultural protocols.
Under the supervision of the academic administrative officer, the program assistant provides administrative and secretarial support to the department with tasks organized around graduate secretary duties, provides program administrative support, and works closely the director and graduate advisor.
As the first point of contact for the program, this position requires excellent skills and proven experience at multi-tasking, taking initiative, using good judgment, thinking independently and strong knowledge of a variety of University processes and systems.
Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required to assist with IGOV events.
Must have a minimum of one (1) year of recent experience in a similar position, preferably in a post-secondary or institutional environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Related work experience should include:
- Experience working within Indigenous communities/organizations.
- Experience handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Advanced proficiency with computer applications (i.e. MS-Office Suite, Adobe Create Suite, online applications, content management systems).
- Experience with UVic information systems (BANNER and FAST) is an asset
- Good understanding of database and information management.
- Ability to work independently and within in a team environment.
- Must have excellent attention to detail, accuracy, be able to identify and set priorities.
- Ability to anticipate needs and issues.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, good judgment, maintaining confidentiality, initiative and diplomacy regarding cultural, sensitive, and confidential matters when dealing with students, staff, faculty, Indigenous community and general public.
- Excellent at multi-tasking and completing work while having interruptions.
- Ability to act effectively in an administrative capacity and exercise diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work with minimal direction, using judgment and initiative.
- Knowledge of Indigenous nations' histories and protocols and the impacts of colonial history.
- Knowledge of local Coast Salish and BC nations histories, ceremonies, and protocols.
Equity and Diversity Statement
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
COVID 19 On-Campus Requirements
The University of Victoria requires all students, staff and faculty coming to campus to declare their COVID-19 vaccination status. Your declaration is confidential and will be securely stored. If you declare that you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status, you must participate in weekly rapid testing.