Payroll Clerk - (124367)
Island HealthVictoria, BC4 months ago
JOB SUMMARY: In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Reports to Payroll Coordinator. Analyzes records rejected from the time entry system interface, correcting known errors, identifying and correcting new errors and notifying timekeepers of changes to input or processes. Performs payroll accounting duties in the accumulating, recording, and processing of data for payroll such as time and/or earning adjustments (for current or prior periods), manual payments, accrual bank payouts or adjustments, local travel reimbursement, cancelled payments, WCB net pay calculations and EI Records of Employment according to established standards, policies, and procedures. This position is required to use a personal computer and a variety of software programs at an intermediate level.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Compiles and inputs data for payroll such as records rejected from the time entry system interface, timekeeper adjustments, non-recurring adjustments (e.g. scholarship payments, grievance settlements), accrual bank adjustments and payouts, and cancelled payments. Performs manual calculations as required.
- Calculates, prepares and inputs "off cycle" payments - either paid by cheque or supplementary direct deposit. . Updates the manual cheque register to record the issue and distribution of manual cheques. Initiates stop payments as required.
- Reconciles designated accounts (Receiver General, WCB, Prepaid Benefits, Pension Corp, Trade Dues & Health & Welfare, Benefit Remittances, etc) by analyzing, reviewing, extracting and interpretation of information. Identifies problems and takes corrective action to resolve discrepancies. Prepares journal entries to balance the general ledger as required.
- Verifies employee paid benefits amounts and enters adjustments when NSF amounts are reported. Ensures benefit premiums are expensed appropriately in the General Ledger by entering required adjustments in the payroll system as identified through the benefit premium reconciliation.
- Prepares employee payroll records and documents such as EI Records of Employment and Audits, Maternity benefit top-up, adjustment forms for time/earnings, benefit/withholdings and accruals and bi-weekly and/or monthly reports for unions, benefit carriers, Pension Corporation.
- Calculates and prepares termination and severance cheques, including sick bank payouts, severance payments, accrual bank balance payouts and non-taxable severance payments paid directly to employee RRSPs. Ensure payments will be reported correctly, based on years of service & eligibility, on the employee T4A .
- Provides information to employees, timekeepers, and outside agencies on pay matters such as vacation accumulation and entitlements, earning information, WCB net pay calculations and reimbursement, rehab employment, pension withholdings and service, and pay policies.
- Processes claims for local travel reimbursement (mileage, meals, parking, ferry), including ensuring the accuracy and appropriate authorization of the claim, according to established standards, policies, and procedures. Differentiate between taxable and non-taxable travel claims and code appropriately to ensure correct tax treatment on pay and for year end reporting. Reconcile total claims processed to total claims received each pay period.
- Calculate, enter and remit garnishee withholdings as per statutory requirements.Ensure garnishees are processed completely for employees who are on multiple pay systems.
- Calculate and enter "top up" earnings for employees in receipt of WorkSafe BC compensation to ensure "90% of net pay" entitlements, including additional overtime earnings, are met, as per the Collective Agreements. Process payments received from WorkSafe BC for employees with active claims and ensure appropriate statutory deductions are withheld and reported from WCB net pay earnings.
- Calculate and remit union dues, employer pension contributions and employer health and welfare payments for employees covered under the four "Trades" agreements. Ensure rates are updated when notified by each union and liaise with Consulting Services when there are changes to the agreements.
- Calculates and verifies retroactive payments and/or reimbursements for employee withholdings.
- Enters and verifies employee bank account information for direct deposit. Ensure duplicate direct deposit information is not recorded in payroll system - run and check audit report.
- Performs related clerical duties such as composing letters and memos to accompany various payroll remittances or reports, termination payments, or in response to inquiries (i.e. ICBC) as required.
- Verifies, sorts and distributes payroll cheques, pay statements, T-4s, and attachments, according to established procedures. Monitors the cheque/statement printer and sealer to ensure that cheques/statements are correctly printed and sealed. Ensure the safekeeping of all payroll forms (pay statements, cheques, T4 and T4A forms, Records of Employment).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education, Training And Experience Grade 12.
- Completed Canadian Payroll Association certification for Payroll Compliance Practitioner, plus two years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Skills And Abilities Working knowledge of computerized payroll systems Ability to organize work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.