Located 6828 Kirkpatrick Crescent, Saanichton BC
Who We Are:
We believe people should never settle for boring baked goods, ever.
We are Portofino Bakery, one of British Columbia’s fastest-growing bakeries, serving an increasing network of local grocery and foodservice customers across Western Canada.
Portofino Bakery was founded over 15 years ago in Victoria, BC with the mission to provide better artisan bread to the local community in Victoria. Today, we have over 175 team members, 3 facilities and are continuing our mission to enrich the lives of our customers with every baked good.
Portofino Bakery is part of Bond Bakery Brands, a stakeholder-focused investment platform started by three friends, and includes Pace Processing & Product Development, Holy Napoli and Coco Bakery. Together, we are building better bakeries.
The Bread and Butter of the Position:
If you are the type of person that enjoys checking off lists and feel a sense of accomplishment when things are squeaky clean, our Sanitation Team Member position may be right for you. Our Sanitation Team Members are instrumental in ensuring our commercial bakery hums along efficiently, safely and with the highest standards of cleanliness.
Our overnight Sanitation Team Members make an extra $2.50 per hour!
Reporting to Quality Assurance Manager, our Sanitation Team Members are responsible for:
- Completing all sanitation shift duties as assigned
- Using appropriate cleaning methods, ensuring to clean all equipment and utensils in accordance with General Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Disassembling, sanitizing, and reassembling food processing equipment
- Cleaning the production floor and surrounding area to ensure that GMP standards are adhered to
- Locking-out, dismantling, cleaning, and sanitizing production machines as required and in accordance with the master sanitation schedule and standard operating procedures
- Using approved chemicals to disinfect surfaces
- Working in a safe and conscientious manner, as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Maintaining a Workplace Hazardous Information Systems (WHMIS) certification, adhering to all safety standards and good manufacturing practices
- Auditing the Daily Sanitation Checklist and documenting all tasks, completed and incomplete
- Working with the Maintenance team members to ensure production facility is safe and well maintained
- Meeting compliance standards as part of the regulatory team
- Acting as part of the Quality Team, ensuring quality activities were performed and documented accordingly
- Other duties as assigned
Shifts and availability:
- 8 hour shifts.
- Must be available to work 6:00pm-2:30am.
- This is a full-time permanent position.
The Ingredients You Bring to the Table:
- 2-3 years previous experience in a sanitation role, preferably in a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge and experience with sanitation programs, including the 7 steps of cleaning
- Knowledge and experience with GMP standards and procedures
- Comfortable with WHMIS, First Aid, Health and Safety legislation
- Comfortable with Health Canada regulated environments and protocols
- Comfortable working at heights, fall arrest is considered an asset
- HACCP knowledge is considered an asset
- Strong verbal communication skills
- The ability to work independently, as well as in a group
- The ability to work on your feet for extended periods
- The ability to work in a clean, organized manner
- The ability to lift up to 50lbs
- A commitment to upholding company policies, compliance and quality standards
- A willingness to learn and grow
The Details You’ll Loave:
- $18.50 starting wage + $2.50 night premium starting at 6:00pm
- Healthy and frequent raises
- Medical & Dental benefits including Life Insurance after 3 months, if you work at least 30 hours per week
- Access to complimentary "staff bread" to take home
- Opportunity for advancement
- Paid Training
- Uniforms Provided
Our Values and What We Expect From Our Breadhead Team Members:
- We are committed to operating in a safety-first environment.
- We are committed to providing a positive work environment.
- We are committed to being a part of Portofino’s future growth and company goals.
- We are committed every day to making and delivering products we can be proud of.
- We listen and value input from everybody– we have open doors at Portofino Bakery.
- We use the golden rule and treat each other with respect, even when our opinions differ.
- We overcome challenges together as a team, we are stronger together.
- We do not take shortcuts; we do things right.
- We believe making the best products with better ingredients matters a lot.
- We believe in continuous product innovation and getting people excited about baked goods.
At Portofino Bakery, we believe that diversity of experience, opinion and background is fundamental to our future growth. We believe success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment where people from various backgrounds can work productively together. Portofino Bakery is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.