Fernwood NRG eagerly invites applications from dynamic individuals to spearhead our growing Out of School Care program. We’re in search of a collaborative and passionate leader who not only values learning and leading but also radiates enthusiasm and empathy.
An ideal candidate would be someone who aligns with our family-centered philosophy and possesses a dedicated approach to nature-based, emergent curriculum. We value patience, teamwork, and a compassionate spirit as key attributes for this role. Moreover, your self-awareness regarding personal values and biases, along with the ability to navigate their impact on your practice will be pivotal to your success in this role.
Join us in fostering an environment where young minds don’t just grow, they shine!
Management status: non-Management
Hours/work schedule: Part time position of up to 30 hrs/week, Monday-Friday.
Scheduled shifts may fall between 7:30am- 5:30pm. More hours available if desired.
Work location(s): Fernwood Community Centre, 1240 Gladstone Avenue.
Reports to: OSC Coordinator and OSC Manager
Direct Reports: OSC Front Line Staff
Compensation & Benefits
- After 3 months of employment, you are eligible for paid sick time.
- After 6 months of successful employment, you are eligible for extended health benefits.
- After 6 months of successful employment, you become eligible for priority placement of your own children (biological or adopted) in Fernwood NRG’s child care programs, subject to availability, for children aged 8 months to 12 years.
- Paid professional development days.
- As a benefit of working with Fernwood NRG, staff members have access to discounts on Good Food Box and staff lunches and snacks.
- Ensures the health and wellbeing of the children by being supportive, caring and present.
- Provides leadership and direction within a team of educators.
- Point of contact for parents and guardians.
- Administrative duties, including but not limited to: Maintenance of children’s files, communication with parents/guardians, inventory of supplies and materials.
- Promotes social-emotional wellbeing by identifying and labeling emotions in self and others.
- Designs supportive, emergent and inclusive environments.
- Promotes a child’s social-emotional development through individual observations and activities.
- Establishes and implements clear appropriate rules, limits and guidelines for developmentally appropriate behaviour.
- Builds and maintains professional working relationships with parents/guardians and co-workers.
- Assists with daily cleaning and sanitizing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift and move chairs, cots, mats, etc. (up to 30lbs).
- Ability to work positively in a busy and loud environment.
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, run occasionally, crouch and bend frequently.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for Fernwood NRG’s mission and meet the below requirements:
- Responsible Adult Certificate or Equivalent
- Current First Aid Certified.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children aged 5-11.
- Familiar with, or ability to quickly gain familiarity with, BC Child Care Licensing Regulations.
Preference given to candidates with the following skills, assets, or experience:
- Ability to work positively in a shared work environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing with parents/caregivers, children and colleagues in a primarily English-language context.
- Ability to problem-solve and prioritize tasks and take initiative.
- Ability to follow instructions and willingness to assume and carry out assigned tasks and to be accountable for results and actions, including quality of work.
- An understanding of and commitment to the importance of client confidentiality.
- Dependable, including the ability to maintain good attendance, be reliable and punctual.
- Professional, responsive, with a positive work attitude.
- Experience resolving miscommunications and interpersonal conflicts.
Candidates who progress through our selection process will be required to provide the following before an employment agreement is finalized.
- Must provide a record of immunization status.
- Must provide two professional references.
- All employees within Fernwood NRG require a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check upon being hired.
About Fernwood NRG: Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group (Fernwood NRG) is a multi-service non-profit community organization working on lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) lands in Victoria, BC. Fernwood NRG serves the Fernwood neighbourhood by:
- Supporting individuals and families with affordable, high-quality childcare, programs, services, and housing,
- Increasing food security through improving access to affordable, high-quality food,
- Playing an active role in developing the neighbourhood economy, and
- Engaging the neighbourhood through activities, events, and communications.
Fernwood NRG is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are valued in our decision-making, in our internal work, and our work in the Neighbourhood. We continue to work towards deeper organization-wide understanding and competence with anti-racism and decolonization. Employees’ lived experience and commitment to these values is highly valued. We recognize that people from communities who experience marginalization (e.g., on the basis of ethnicity, citizenship/immigration status, gender, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, etc.) may be less likely to apply for leadership positions. We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for our mission and meet the core requirements below.
We look forward to your application!