We're looking for an experienced, engaging, and driven Newsletter Editor to help Capital Daily connect to even more locals and build a stronger community.
The Newsletter Editor will be a critical part of Capital Daily, leading the newsletter team. You’ll be involved in planning, writing, editing, and publishing the most relevant, engaging, and conversational stories that give locals a must-read, local daily briefing of what’s going on in Victoria.
In this role, you’ll produce daily content for the newsletter, strategize for audience growth, execute on engagement tactics, and more.
You’ll try new things, proactively react to metrics, engage with readers, and obsess about effective storytelling in the email newsletter platform.
Your autonomy, creativity, and experience means being empowered to craft products, stories, and schedules that allow for powerful stories, while creating the systems to follow through with the ideas that will help connect readers with their neighbours and empower them to be the most educated and engaged members of their city. All while spreading the word to their community not yet subscribed.
This is a remote position based in Victoria, BC.
The role requires a flexible schedule that can include weekends.
- You love newsletters, appreciating their audience engagement nuance and tactics, and have written them before - even if it’s just internal or a passion project.
- You have a ton of writing and editing experience with online publications. A little copywriting and marketing experience is a big plus.
- You know how to write in a way that gets readers past the headline – a sense of humour and irreverence is a definite asset.
- You know Greater Victoria inside and out, and have an understanding of the local arts, culture, business, and media landscape, and you know where people hang out and converse online.
- You bring a growth mindset, with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- You have excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and can build and share the systems to help others be as well.
- You have a solid understanding of tools like Slack, email platforms (like Beehiiv, Substack, etc), ClickUp (or another task management platform like Asana), social media management, G Suite, ChatGPT, and AI for increased productivity and efficiency.
- You're able to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at a time.
- You ideally have supported, led, or worked in a newsroom before.
- You have meticulous attention to detail and know double spaces after punctuation is just wrong.
- You have an interest in escaping traditional media models, with a desire to explore new story formats and create incredible content with a talented team alongside you.
- You have a team player mentality. Each member of our team has the same goal, and working together is integral to achieving it.
- You want to have fun, and showcase what Victoria is all about.
In this role you'll have the opportunity to:
- Produce a newsletter that goes out to 50,000+ locals every morning, filled with original storytelling, curated and summarized news and information, events, guides, local spotlights, and more.
- Be an expert in distilling the important points of a larger story so our readers can stay informed everyday through our curation.
- Have an unbiased approach to content creation following journalistic standards. Our brand is objective, we inform our readers.
- Participate in and lead planning for our long- and short-term content calendar to keep track of what’s being published, as well as in daily story meetings to help determine what topics will be covered each day, documenting editorial deliverables daily, weekly and monthly via the editorial calendar.
- Bring engagement into everything you do. You’ll be activating the audience through surveys, polls, questions, social media content, replying and following up with readers in the Capital Daily inbox daily. We continually work to have a conversation with our readers.
- Be the example of an informed + engaged citizen: attend community events, be in the know when it comes to local news + be a leader in civic development of your region.
- Publicly represent the brand, as a role model of the company’s core values.
- Be able to take compelling and attractive photos of events, food, businesses, people, and local landmarks. Photo and video content is key to driving engagement.
- Make data-driven decisions. Review daily audience engagement and performance metrics, sharing insights with the team and utilizing the data to optimize future newsletters. Monitor and optimize performance of the newsletter to meet subscriber, engagement, and growth targets.
- Own your content. Creating relevant, timely, and clean content for the newsletter will set you up for success. You will be empowered to take ownership and should be proud to sign your name to the newsletter every day.
Perks of working with us:
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, and mental health benefits
- Flexible work hours
- 3 weeks vacation plus 2 weeks of wellness days from the start
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture