The Narwhal is seeking a detail-oriented, motivated membership and operations coordinator
Hours: Flexible, minimum of three days a week
Salary: $55,000-$65,000 FTE
Deadline: Feb. 11, 2024
The Narwhal’s membership and operations coordinator will play a key role in managing our database of more than 6,000 members, and provide general administrative support to our director of operations & finance and our executive director. Our ideal candidate will be excited about donor engagement and working on the frontlines of a new business model for journalism.
Who are we?
The Narwhal is an award-winning online magazine that publishes in-depth and investigative journalism about the natural world in Canada.
Think of us as part newsroom, part non-profit and part startup. As a non-profit, reader-funded news organization, our goal isn’t to sell advertising or to please corporate bigwigs — it’s to bring evidence-based news and analysis to the surface for our readers. We’re part of a revolution in public-interest journalism that is reinvigorating the relationship between readers and the journalists who work on their behalf — and we want you to join us.
The storytellers in any society hold tremendous power. At The Narwhal, we recognize that this power represents both a privilege and a responsibility and we aim to use this power for the public good. The Narwhal is working to build an inclusive and equitable team that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
- Maintain Salesforce database (merge duplicates, import donations, process refunds, etc.)
- Make manual updates to database as needed
- Be the first point of contact between members and The Narwhal, communicating about updates to their donations and other requests
- Track monthly key performance indicators
- Make personnel updates in Bamboo
- Administer benefits plan
- Pick up mail in downtown Victoria on a weekly basis, deposit cheques at bank and enter in Salesforce
- Help to maintain and update personnel policies, procedures and Google Workspace
- Provide support during hiring processes, including scheduling interviews and coordinating with candidates
- Assist with managing and maintaining all employment agreements and contracts
- Assist with onboarding and offboarding employees and contractors, facilitating equipment requests and returns, opening and closing accounts, etc.
- Manage organizational billing accounts and subscriptions
- Assist with researching, managing and maintaining all office systems and facilities across multiple locations
- Provide support organizing and tracking expense reports and invoices
- Procurement, maintenance and inventory of office materials and hardware, including computers, phones and peripherals
General admin support
- Assist with special projects, such as awards entries, as needed
- Assist with travel arrangements
- Prepare and/or provide data for presentations, spreadsheets and reports
Required skills & experience
- Familiarity with Google Workspace
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication, problem-solving and project management skills
- Solid organizational and time-management abilities with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Experience with handling confidential information
- Some experience in an administrative or communications role in a non-profit or media environment
- Commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment
- Great people skills and an ability to navigate difficult conversations with empathy, sensitivity and a high degree of emotional intelligence
- A love for keeping things organized and creating systems
Desired skills & experience
- Experience in Salesforce, MailChimp, QuickBooks, Monday or BambooHR
- What we offer
- Group health, vision and dental benefits after three months and a health spending account
- Professional development opportunities
- A flexible workplace with a vibrant, collaborative culture
- Work from home stipend or an opportunity to work from a shared office in Victoria
- Four weeks’ vacation and annual holiday closure
- 10 personal days per year (FTE)
Please don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not possess the precise combination of all of the skills, attributes, qualifications and experience listed above.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and résumé by Feb. 11, at the latest, via this link. Please include your full name in the file name of any attachments you submit. In your cover letter please tell us why specifically you want to work at The Narwhal and what from your previous experience makes you a good fit for this role.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted further.
What to expect
- Selected candidates will be invited to a first-round interview by the end of February. Following that, there will likely be a paid assignment and selected candidates will be invited to a second and possibly third interview
- Candidates will meet a mix of team members during the interview process
- The hiring committee will consist of three interviewers in each session
- All interviews will be conducted online via Zoom
- The start date for this position is April 15 at the latest and the successful candidate must be available for an in-person retreat the week of May 6
The Narwhal is working to build an inclusive and equitable team that reflects the communities we serve. People who identify as being from marginalized communities, including Indigenous Peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people identifying as 2SLGBTQ+, and people from low-income backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. Disability-related accommodations are available for candidates taking part in our hiring process. We will ask candidates selected for an interview about any accessibility needs ahead of the scheduled interview.