As a member of the Finance Division, the Manager, Asset Accounting is a hands-on role that oversees asset accounting and helps drive transit growth through the implementation of fair and affordable leasing charges for local government partners.
The position manages BC Transit’s leasing program for capital assets and provides financial expertise in the development of related debt financing needs. The position is also responsible for the accounting of tangible capital assets, including the oversight of related deferred funding balances.
The ideal candidate is a well-rounded professional with strong technical accounting skills and an excellent understanding of financial modelling. Working closely with other departments, you will build strong relationships and gain the trust and respect of stakeholders, and will support and influence corporate decision-making. This position plays an integral role in the development of new funding models to support transformational change and expansion of transit service.
- Oversees the accounting for tangible capital assets.
- Manages deferred capital contribution balances, related revenue recognition, and the reconciliation of capital reserve balances.
- Creates and maintains internal capital asset accounting policies in accordance with public sector accounting standards and provides internal support for stakeholders.
- Provides accounting expertise in scenario planning and the development of project business cases.
- Manages the BC Transit leasing program with responsibility for the calculation and accounting for leases on over 7000 assets.
- Develops complex financial models to support multi-year leasing program budgets.
- Identifies borrowing needs for capital expenditures and provides analysis to support long-term strategic decision-making.
- Prepares analysis and reporting on ongoing leasing program results (financial and written).
- Leads the analysis of new funding sources and borrowing programs.
- Provides strong direction and clear leadership to the department. Manages all aspects of staffing including recruitment and selection, scheduling, supervision, coaching and developing, performance management and all other people management practices.
- Recommends and drives business process improvements and systems efficiencies.
- Works closely with senior leadership to support project planning and the implementation of funding initiatives.
- Leads the development and implementation of education and training for project teams.
- Collaborates with leaders across the organization, with a view to continuously developing the department.
- Post-secondary degree in business, finance, or a related discipline.
- Professional accounting designation.
- A minimum seven (7) years related experience in progressively more senior roles.
- A minimum of three (3) years leadership experience managing or directing the work of others.
- Proven experience with financial reporting and financial analysis.
- Proven experience in the development of complex financial models.
- Excellent understanding of technical accounting standards.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and financial systems. Experience with analytical tools is an asset.
- Proven experience in process improvement or re-engineering initiatives and projects.
- Experience reviewing legal contracts is an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills, with the ability to solve complex problems in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload and handle competing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals/groups.
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC TRANSIT OFFERS
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots (not currently open due to COVID-19)
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus additional taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
We believe that diversity of thought and experience fuels innovation. In keeping with this belief, we do not discriminate on any basis. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
While we welcome all applications, we will only respond directly to those who are short-listed for a role. Thanks in advance for your understanding and wishing you all the best in your career journey