Lighting and Scenic Technician
The Butchart Gardens is looking for one or more individuals to fill the following full-time position:
DEPARTMENT: Arts and Entertainment
POSITION: Lighting and Scenic Technician
The Arts & Entertainment Department at The Butchart Gardens creates and operates the summer lighting display, the evening concerts, fireworks, and the annual Christmas display. The department also oversees all artwork and graphics, as well as photography for the company. The Lighting and Scenic Technician is one of the core positions in the department, directly responsible for installing, maintaining, and operating both the summer lighting display and the Christmas display. Much of the work involves lighting and electricity, so comfort working in this area is essential. Duties also include creating and maintaining theatrical type props and displays, so previous experience in carpentry, construction, scenic paint or design would also be an asset.
The successful candidate will be required to:
· Prepare, repair, install, and maintain seasonal lighting equipment as directed.
· Assist in planning the summer lighting presentation and for the installation and removal of lighting fixtures.
· Assist in the installation and construction of exhibits and Christmas show prototypes.
· Assist with record keeping and creation of AutoCAD maps and drawings.
· Under the supervision of the Director of Arts & Entertainment, assist with the preparation, research, creation, and construction of Christmas, special occasion, and seasonal lighting and displays.
· Install, maintain, operate, and troubleshoot Christmas display lighting, props, and scenic elements.
· Oversee the work of seasonal staff during the installation and removal of the Christmas display.
· Assist with other Arts and Entertainment department duties on the concert stage, in graphics, or in the fireworks department. A willingness to work with fireworks may be required along with the successful completion of the Natural Resources Canada Display Fireworks Safety Course.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· A genuine positive attitude, solid interpersonal skills, and an ability to effectively communicate, show imitative, and to be willing to compromise as necessary.
· A demonstrated ability to work independently.
· An ability to work with electrical equipment and a basic understanding of electrical theory.
· Strong mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
· An ability to work with hand and small power tools to create displays.
· Comfortable working outdoors, at heights and on roofs, and in all weather conditions.
· Knowledge of visual presentation, display work, and possessing an artistic perspective and imagination.
· Ability to apply creative judgement and deploy strong problem solving abilities.
· Able, or willing, to operate equipment such as elevated lift trucks and other on-property vehicles.
· Flexibility in scheduling of hours. Evening and weekend work is required depending on the season.
· Valid BC Drivers License
This is a full-time position starting in August or September 2022. Shifts will be scheduled to suit the requirements of the department and the operation of the seasonal presentations. Evening and weekend work is required depending on the season, as is occasional overtime. Some work will take place at heights, and candidates must be prepared to work outdoors in inclement weather. An adequate level of physical fitness is also necessary as the job activities are repetitive in nature and require lifting strength, so individuals with repetitive strain or back injuries would not find this position suitable. A considerable amount of walking is also involved to move around the property. Please note that this position is contingent upon successful completion of a physical assessment.
We will be accepting applications until 5:00 PM August 12, 2022.
Remuneration will be commensurate with this level of responsibility and the qualifications of the successful candidate. Interested individuals should submit a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources, The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Ave, Brentwood Bay BC, V8M 1J8
Fax: (250) 544-4455 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We sincerely thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.