Legal Assistant (CLK ST 11R)
BC Public ServiceVictoria, BC25 days ago
CLK ST 11R - Legal Assistant
Clerk Stenographer R11
Victoria, BC V9B6X2 CA (Primary)
$46,182.50 - $52,157.99 annually, effective April 11/21
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Attorney General
Ministry Branch / Division
Legal Services Branch
Clerk Stenographer 11
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens, per the Public Service Act .We welcome and encourage applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, person of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the BC Public Service.
Currently there is 1 permanent opportunity and 1 temporary opportunity until February 22, 2022.
These positions are excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future temporary and permanent vacancies.
A career-building opportunity for a talented administrative professional
The Attorney General is the legal advisor to the government of British Columbia and is charged with ensuring that the administration of public affairs is carried out in accordance with the law. The Ministry of Attorney General is structured to carry out this mandate under the direction of the Attorney General, and Legal Services Branch (LSB) supports the Ministry in fulfilling this mandate by serving as legal advisor to government in civil law matters. LSB provides legal advice to government and ensures that legal risks associated with government operations are reduced. LSB's clients include all ministries of the government, Cabinet and certain public agencies.
This position currently provides support to legal counsel in the JHR Group and may also be required to provide support to lawyers in other practice groups who are located in Victoria.
Legal Counsel in the JHR Group are responsible for appearing on behalf of the Attorney General of British Columbia and Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of British Columbia at all levels of court and administrative tribunals on litigation matters.They also provide legal advice on government operations, legislation and potential lawsuits.
As a Legal Assistant, you will provide administrative and secretarial assistance to legal counsel within the Barristers and/or Solicitors Divisions of the Legal Services Branch. This is a multifaceted position which includes duties such as:
- Compiling and organizing pleadings and either binding or cerloxing books in proper form pursuant to Practice Directives and Rules that govern the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, Supreme Court of Canada and various administrative tribunals; coordinating, and scheduling hearings of interlocutory applications, injunctions, examinations for discovery, pre-trial applications, trials, and appeals.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, the ability to prioritize, along with flexibility in responding to shifting work demands are required. The successful candidate will also have a keen attention to detail, as well as exceptional proofreading and editing skills.
- Maintaining a physical and electronic filing system.
- You must possess effective communication skills, be collaborative team player, be able to take initiative appropriately, and able to work independently under pressure.
If you are seeking to gain valuable experience to advance your administrative career in a dynamic environment, we look forward to your application.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer .
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Melissa.Seifrit@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
• Secondary school graduation or equivalent.Completion of a Legal Office Administrative Assistant program from a recognized institution, or equivalent knowledge and experience in a legal environment.
• Minimum two years of experience working in a legal office.
• Experience using Microsoft Suite and SharePoint sites.
• Experience with legal and other research methodologies and techniques.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter: YES - A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES - Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire (BASIC): YES - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Court and Judicial Services