Intermediate/Senior Test Engineer
RooofVictoria, BC3 months ago
Online Applications Only - No Walk-Ins Accepted
At Rooof, we build the world’s best software for automatically creating classified ads. That said, we’re even more proud of our team. We love working together and we’re very good at what we do – just ask our customers!
We’ve been growing rapidly and are now looking for an experienced test engineer to join our growing IT team. You will be responsible for establishing test environments, manually testing issues, creating and maintaining Rooof’s automation and regression test suites, monitoring performance per release, analyzing test results, identifying bugs and looking for opportunities to improve our testing processes.
If you are an effective communicator with excellent problem-solving skills and have a passion for testing, we would like to meet you. As an experienced test engineer, you will use your prior knowledge to assist our testing team in creating quality software based on automated frameworks that push our products to its limits.
Who you'd be working with:
Rooof’s engineering teams consist of testers and developers at all seniority levels, this position would be working alongside them.
Jacob is a test engineer and release specialist. In fact, Jacob wears many hats and splits his time between testing our products (manually and automatically), building test suites, releasing software and creating automation frameworks. Jacob is moving over to a development role soon and his vacant test engineering position is what we are trying to fill!
Sarah and Mia are our other test engineers - like Jacob they have many different QA roles and are doing their utmost to find bugs before our software is released.
Adam Z. is a senior software engineer. He has been around since the beginning of Rooof and can help you get oriented with anything related to architecture and frameworks. He works out of Vancouver but comes to Victoria occasionally to hang out with the team.
Catlin and Nino are our front-end development specialists and work on a variety of current and future products making sure our customers get the experience they need.
Caleb, Lisa and Isaac are Rooof’s full-stack developers, they work on anything and churn out code regularly; the test team is tasked with trying to keep up!
Brian is the team lead for a bunch of different teams. He comes from a development background and is tasked with making sure everything runs smoothly. This position will report to him.
At Rooof we value communication and sharing so you’ll also be working with the Sales, Support and Marketing teams to ensure we are testing the right things, and Product management to make sure we are meeting everyone’s expectations.
Chloe, Zeus, Jasper and Winnie are our furry K-9 friends that come to visit sometimes. They aren't the hardest workers on the team, but they do earn major ‘cute’ points which makes up for the lack of actual work they contribute. If you need a mental shift, they are always open to a good belly rub to take your mind off things for a minute.
What you'd be working on:
Rooof has several automated test suites that run periodically, you’ll be getting familiar with them and expanding them as needed. Manual regression and issue testing are also part of your job; many of these suites are being automated but there will always be hands-on testing at various stages of our product life-cycle.
To-date Rooof has not had the opportunity to heavily invest in product performance testing; you will be helping to find effective ways to measure and analyze metrics per release. This testing will assist us in identifying damaging code before it is released and help drive future design.
Rooof’s product portfolio is expanding and with it the number of interconnected components. One of the team’s challenges is creating and maintaining test environments that can effectively be used in automated integration testing. We utilize AWS to host our servers and you’ll need to understand how the pieces fit together before coming up with effective strategies to automatically create, populate and test the interconnecting pieces.
Test engineers are also tasked with monitoring and creating alerts & dashboards. The alerts are triggered based on test results, build statuses and the running of our live systems with incidents appearing in our Slack messaging. The (SUMO) dashboards give us a red/green light view of the world and are driven by analyzing logging messages. Both alerts and dashboards already exist in some form but new dashboards are being planned and it will be the test team’s responsibility to get them up and running.
We need someone who loves technology, is willing to learn and is comfortable with coding/scripting. An ideal candidate should tick as many of the following boxes as possible:
- 3+ years of work experience as a test engineer (with automation)
- Highly inquisitive nature
- Hands-on experience with a programming language (Python preferred)
- Experience setting up virtual environments
- Experience creating Selenium test cases
- Comfortable around databases and creating SQL queries
- Comfortable building software using Continuous Integration (e.g. Circle CI)
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills
- Team player with strong written and verbal communication
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- BSc degree in Computer Science (preferred) or degree/diploma in another relevant field or comparable real-world testing experience
Nice to have's:
- Familiarity with development tools and environments e.g. GitHub, JIRA, SUMO
- Hands-on experience with creating and managing cloud-based services e.g. AWS
- Experience with setting up software metrics and performance testing
- Create and maintain automated test suites
- Manually complete issue and regression style testing
- Create performance tests that run per release
- Create and maintain testing environments
- Create, monitor and maintain alerts and dashboards
- Provide expert opinion on testing in group discussions
- Look for opportunities to improve Rooof software and processes
What does success look like?
You are getting positive feedback from both internal and external sources - your work is making an impact in many areas!
You are proud of the high-quality products Rooof is releasing knowing your testing played a big part in ensuring that quality.
Everyone appreciates your efforts in monitoring dashboards and contacting teams when alerts are triggered, the world feels like a safer place under your watchful eye!
You are producing automated test suites and frameworks using the latest tools and services and they are successfully catching bugs and identifying problem areas - nice job!
- This position is suited for to an intermediate to senior candidate with 3 or more years of practical experience – we pay based on that experience
- Health, dental, vision, and other benefits for you and your family (after 90 days)
- RSP matching (after 90 days)
- Three weeks of paid vacation
- Bonus vacation December 26-31, but we take turns on call.
- Many other perks like an annual charitable giving allowance, wellness subsidy on each paycheque, snacks, weekly team lunches, deluxe coffee machine, beer Fridays, professional development opportunities, team activities and events, dog-friendly office, and more!
Where does this go?
We expect the successful candidate to continue growing themselves and the company for years to come. As the company expands, we expect the test team to grow and there will be additional opportunities for learning, automation, mentoring and trying out new technologies.