Information Access and Privacy Officer
BC TransitVictoria, BC2 months ago
We love that our head office is in Victoria and we bet you do too!
We are thrilled you’ve decided to explore a career with us. As a crown corporation and recognized Top Employer in BC, BC Transit is British Columbia's provincial transit authority responsible for transporting 58 million passengers every year, operating 88 transit systems in 130 communities across British Columbia (outside of Greater Vancouver).
We’re passionate about helping to reduce congestion in our communities and bringing innovation to public transportation wherever we can including electrifying our fleet, introducing new bus lanes between Colwood and Downtown and exploring mobile payment options, to name just a few.
It’s an exciting time to be in the transit industry and we’re looking for creative and passionate people to join our team. Not only would you be joining an engaged organization but you’d also get to enjoy flexible work arrangements, extended benefits and a pension plan as just a few of the benefits BC Transit employees are eligible for. Keep reading to find out if this role is meant for you!
What will you do?
As the successful candidate, you will play a key role in the areas of information access and privacy management, working as a trusted advisor to your colleagues, particularly those in teams with similar goals such as IT and IT Security, Information Management, Procurement and Safety and Security. You are both analytical and organized, as you will be preparing recommendations as well as engaging in complex reviews and investigations.
You’ll specifically have the opportunity to:
- Plays a key role in implementing an enterprise privacy management program that includes operating partners, operating companies and contractors.
- Plays a key role in implementing FOIPPA compliant information access and privacy strategies that align with BC Transit’s business needs.
- Supports the implementation of practices that address all facets of BC’s information access and privacy management laws and expectations of the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
- Acts as an influential and credible Information Access and Privacy resource for others, particularly IT and IT Security, Procurement, Information Management, and Safety and Security.
- Manages an information access and privacy training and awareness program for all employees and where applicable, contractors; applies various training modalities and collaborates with BC Transit corporate training specialist, IT Security, Information Management and others as required.
- Participates in the implementation of information access and privacy policies and procedures including for operating companies and contractors.
- Participates in seeking, analyzing, preparing recommendations and implementing legal advice and support as required.
- Acts as BC Transit’s day-to-day liaison with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC), participating in complex reviews and investigations.
- Maintains awareness of and advises on changes to relevant provincial legislation and jurisprudence, including significant or precedent-setting decisions made by the OIPC. Participates in province-wide reviews of BC’s privacy laws, as required.
- Participates as a trusted advisor, working in a confidential capacity in matters relating to personnel files and other records containing personal information and sensitive business information.
- Participates in implementing and maintaining: Personal Information Inventories; Privacy Impact Assessments and other risk assessment processes; reduction of, response to and remediation of privacy incidents and breaches.
- Supports the creation of materials for the board and senior executive as required and prepares monthly and other routine reports for senior executive, for example monthly FOI and Privacy Impact Assessments reports.
- Manages FOI processing and responses, protecting the interests of BC Transit while remaining compliant with FOIPPA.
- Manages FOI processing in collaboration with executive members and/or internal records providers and Communications, as appropriate.
- Guides internal records providers during the record gathering process, reviews documents, interprets and applies FOIPPA provisions.
- Manages the use of redaction technology to sever records for release.
What education and experience will you need to be successful?
We love lifelong Learners and recommend the following mix of education or certifications to be successful in conjunction with relevant experience:
- Law degree, degree in public administration, information management or other directly related discipline, including Paralegal training and experience.
- Certification as a privacy professional strongly preferred (through the International Association of Privacy Professionals).
- Three years demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making skills in guiding a public body in the application of legislation with a public regulator, preferably FOIPPA or similar legislation.
- An equivalent combination education, training, and experience may be considered
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC Transit Offers
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Health and Wellness Spending account
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots (not currently open due to COVID-19)
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
We believe that diversity of thought and experience fuels innovation. In keeping with this belief, we do not discriminate on any basis. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
While we welcome all applications, we will only respond directly to those who are short-listed for a role. Thanks in advance for your understanding and wishing you all the best in your career journey.