Income Assistance Legal Advocate
Permanent | Full-Time | Nanaimo Office
Together Against Poverty Society is hiring a full-time, permanent position for an Income Assistance Legal Advocate located in our Nanaimo office. The deadline for applications is 6 pm on Monday, January 22, 2023.
Located in Victoria on the territory of the Ləkʷəŋən (Lekwungen) peoples, TAPS is one of the largest anti-poverty organizations on Vancouver Island. TAPS specializes in face-to-face legal advocacy services. Through our work, we seek to have a positive impact on people's lives in ways that honour and promote human rights, justice, and a healthy, sustainable community.
Job Description (Nature of the Position)
The primary job responsibilities for this position are as follows:
1. Provide information and referral to clients with income assistance and disability related matters;
2. Provide legal advocacy for clients who need assistance with reconsiderations and appeals of matters relating to income assistance and disability benefits;
3. Work with the staff lawyer when cases progress to Judicial Review, and with regard to any strategic litigation initiatives relating to income assistance and disability;
4. Work on policy relating initiatives pertaining to income assistance and disability;
5. Provide public legal education presentations through community organizations concerning income assistance rights and entitlements;
6. Prepare statistics and reports as required for the funder of the position;
7. On occasion draft literary pieces for our newsletter Taproot and our website, and in consultation with management help with the drafting of press releases and communications relating to your work;
8. On occasion and with consultation of management, provide support and cover to other legal advocates during absences and vacations; and,
9. Assist the rest of staff with the general duties of the office, which are shared by all staff (for example: kitchen cleanliness, front desk cover, TAPS fundraising events).
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Education, and Skills
There are no specific educational qualifications for this position, but experience with income assistance, disability benefits, and client representation will be considered. All applicants must have a positive and non-judgmental attitude towards low-income clients, and understand the importance of confidentiality and professional ethics in representing clients.
Wage Rate and Hours of Work (Shifts)
This position is full-time (5 days/week or 35 hours/week) but is also eligible for 4 days/week or 28 hours/week if preferred. All shifts are located in the Nanaimo office and hours of work on scheduled days must cover any period of time the office is open to the public.
TAPS is a proud member of CUPE Local 374 and wages are set by the TAPS Collective Agreement. The wage rate is currently set at $30.50/hr.
Start Date and Duration of Position
The start date for the position is as soon as possible. This position is permanent and has no determined end date.
Applications and Interviews
To apply please send Cover Letter, Resume, and if desired an optional short writing sample (3 pages or less) to:
Writing samples may be of any type and applicants are encouraged to submit any sample which would help show the ability to advocate on someone's behalf or provides analysis/opinion.
Some examples could be:
• letter on behalf of yourself or another advocating for a change or a specific outcome
• academic piece from any level of study
• journalistic piece like a letter to the editor or review
• legal documents or legal argument
TAPS is committed to employment equity. We encourage qualified applicants from members of visible minority groups, Indigenous Peoples, people with diverse cultural backgrounds, people with disabilities, LGBTQQIP2SAA+ people, people with lived experiences of poverty and homelessness, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.
While not required, applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letter as lived expertise is a valued skillset. TAPS recognizes that experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please apply. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
If your application is impacted by systemic barriers such as ableism, by your language background being other than English, or by any other factors that make applying less accessible to you, please let us know as we are happy to accommodate.
If you have any questions about the position before applying please contact the Executive Director directly at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 6 pm on Monday, January 22, 2023.