Overstory Media Group is a media company that delivers high-quality, fact-based journalism and storytelling. At OMG our goal is to empower communities – connected by geography, interest, or industry – with information delivered by the people within them.
The way we do this is by identifying journalists, creators, and existing brands who share in this belief and provide tools, resources, and financial support to help them create in their communities.
Today we have 10 community brands across Canada under our umbrella. We plan to continue building – by 2023 we will add 250 people to our headcount and launch 50 new community brands. Some of the newsletter-based journalism outlets we’ve built to date include Capital Daily, Vancouver Tech Journal, Burnaby Beacon, and Fraser Valley Current.
WHO YOU ARE:
As an in-house graphic designer, you’ll work directly with the OMG team to collaborate and design short-term and long-term brand and communication tasks.
- Create and design various materials for print and digital including but not limited to: reports, media kits, artwork, books, brochures, signs, stickers, and merchandise
- Design assets for web, including digital ads, banners, article images, social media posts, and stories
- Work with Web PM and Front End Developer to wireframe websites and landing pages, and make edits to existing websites
- Design and manage newsletter templates in ActiveCampaign
- Develop the visual identity of new and current brands including logos, style guides and additional assets
- Edit photographs for web, social, and print
- Work with copywriters and creative team to produce final design
- Test graphics across various media
- Ensure final graphics, layouts, and template are visually appealing and on-brand
- Study and keep up with industry trends
- Take part in team meetings as needed
- Collaborate with the team on how to strategize and execute creative concepts that are engaging and relevant to OMG project objectives
- Train other team members on basic graphic design principles
- 3+ years of experience
- Advance skills in current web and graphic design practices and production software, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva, Figma or a similar wireframing tool
- Experience with Webflow and no code platforms is an asset
- Strong understanding of current web design practices and methods
- Strong knowledge of branding
- Ability to work well autonomously and collaboratively
- Ability to take constructive feedback and provide revisions in a timely manner
- Strong time management skills to handle multiple projects at a time
- The ability to meet scheduled deadlines
- Strong communication skills, to effectively convey ideas verbally
- Previous experience designing email newsletters and landing pages
All full-time employees have the opportunity to enrol in the company's benefits program (including medical, dental, vision, and more) after a probationary period.