WHO WE ARE:
The Root Cellar Village Green Grocer is your fresh & innovative destination market for extraordinary food experiences.
We are a market amongst many, but our business model stands alone by providing an experiential shopping atmosphere driven by a passion for sustainability, and a locally focused purchasing philosophy. We are currently undertaking the opening of a second Root Cellar location and are embarking on an exciting year ahead as we plan, create, and manifest this new project. This new location provides the opportunity to develop, strengthen and grow our Root Cellar Family, and we are seeking applicants as excited about what lies ahead as we are. We anticipate opening in the second half of this year, so the future is glowing with growth & opportunity for our team.
The Root Cellar is a family business, founded in 2008. A firm stance behind our motto ‘farm fresh, dirt cheap, delicious’ and a drive to brighten every customer’s day has resulted in our little market becoming a bustling community hub, now providing Vancouver Island’s largest selection of organic, local and conventional produce, a full service butcher and deli, a boutique florist and garden centre, artisanal grocery, dairy & breads, a bulk foods section and most recently a new coffee bar, bringing us to over 10,000 square feet, buzzing with over 120 employees.
At The Root Cellar, we believe that time spent gathered around the table is what connects us as people, families & communities. Good food is essential not only for survival but for our human need for togetherness. We want our customer’s experience of food to be extraordinary, beginning with their visit to The Root Cellar. To create this experience we seek passionate individuals, driven by a shared love of food, experience, and impact. We value integrity, candor, a sense of humour and individuals whose drive for excellence results in a more rewarding work experience for all – together we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the community where we live, work & play.
Our Finance Manager works closely with the directors of the company and is in charge of developing and managing the financial procedures and systems of our accounting and finance department. You will analyze expenditures and develop realistic budgets for the organization to maximize profits, reporting any issues that may affect performance or the company’s profitability to our upper management team. You will play a key role in designing and implementing our organization’s financial success plans and develop and follow protocols to protect the organization financials and profitability.
We are seeking a resourceful, detail-oriented leader who is not only eager to contribute to a culture that is inclusive, innovative, and focused on quality improvement but also not afraid to roll up their sleeves when needed. If you are a motivated contributor with solid leadership experience, a high level of personal accountability, advanced communication and team building skills, and a love for food and people, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Develop and implement policies for the finance and accounting department, and ensure Team Member accountability, efficiency, and adherence to operating procedures.
- Manage, direct, and control the company’s financial accounting, monitoring and reporting systems.
- Suggesting improvements when necessary.
- Communicate directly with Leadership Teams regarding department financial expectations, goals and KPI’s, ensuring that outcomes are achieved.
- Manage all data collected by the finance and accounting department.
- Adjust protocols or policies to maximize profitability when necessary.
- Preparation and delivery of monthly financial reporting to Leadership Team and Directors.
- Participate in strategic data analysis, research, and modeling for the senior company leadership.
- Support project analysis, validation of plans, and ad-hoc requests.
- Prepare year end financial data up to and potentially including the annual completion of tax filings.
- Effectively respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner providing solutions and proposing new ideas.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE COMES EQUIPPED WITH:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting with a minimum 5 years’ work-related experience in accounting and or financial analysis.
- Strong knowledge of financial reporting tools such as Sage 300, LOC SMS, and advanced mastery of the full Microsoft office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access.
- Exceptional analytical & decision-making skills and a strong knowledge of digital technology.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; you serve as a role model for the department and all other Team Members.
- High level communication skills; verbal and written.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to manage time efficiently and adapt to changing priorities.
- A strong business acumen with a proven track record of creating positive results.
- Demonstrates discretion, integrity, both open & fair-mindedness, and functions well under pressure.
- A high level of self-accountability, ownership and an appreciation for details & organization.
This is a full-time position commencing promptly. This role is entitled to a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, a employee & family assistance package, as well as a 20% Team Member discount in store.
We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, to grow and develop and to foster a culture of teamwork and innovation.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter. We look forward to meeting you!
* Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered.