Executive Pastry Chef
AccorVictoria, BC3 months ago
Executive Pastry Chef - Fairmont Empress
Do you want to…
- Work in a historic “Castle on the Coast” located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Be part of an extraordinary team,
- Elevate your career with a global luxury brand offering extensive development opportunities,
- Utilize global perks & privileges & enjoy a competitive wage + attractive benefits package
Then you might be our next Executive Pastry Chef!
Executive Pastry Chef
A rare opportunity has become available to join the Fairmont Empress Hotel. The hotel has distinguished history with multiple F&B outlets, including Q Restaurant, award-award winning Q Bar and the Lobby Lounge which transforms to the most elegant and traditional Afternoon tea experience renowned world-wide. A perfect role for a super creative pastry chef with hotel experience, who will be hands-on and love leading your team from the front and elevating the overall experience through delectable and creative offerings for our discerning guests.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Uphold culture and standards of the Fairmont Empress
- Maintains departmental standards as determined by the Executive Chef.
- Work closely with colleagues to ensure the high quality and consistency of food preparation and presentation
- Ensure that the pastry and baked goods of the hotel is the leading product in the city.
- Train and educate employees on luxury standards and international culinary techniques.
- Responsible for the seasonal revision of the pastry menus and promotions
- Monitors performance levels of all colleagues and acts accordingly.
- Responsible for timely completion of all one-on-one meetings and performance reviews.
- Actively involved in our apprenticeship program including demonstrations and follow up with students.
- Ensures that the kitchen area is clean and the equipment is functional.
- Strives to advance his/her knowledge, skills and abilities and consistently share these with others.
- Promotes teamwork between the kitchen and all other departments.
- Assist on product development for IRD, Banquets, Lobby Lounge, Q Restaurant, Fairmont Gold
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of labor and food cost controls.
- Creates weekly schedule for the pastry division, ensuring proper staffing scheduling in accordance to productivity guidelines and Collective Bargaining procedures and requirements
- Acts as a role model to junior staff members by maintaining a professional work ethic and displaying sound cooking skills.
- Actively participates in the Fairmont Empress’ environmental program and department specific initiatives in working towards sustainable operations.
- Health & Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining a safe work environment.
- Effectively managing vacations and payroll
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 6-8 years of pastry experience in a similar high volume environment is required. This will include all areas of the pastry function such as wedding cakes, baking, showpieces, yeast products, French pastry and chocolate.
- A minimum of two years previous experience in a senior role as a Pastry Chef is required.
- Trade qualifications are required.
- Experience overseeing multiple venues
- Must be highly resourceful and innovative, detail oriented, quality conscious and aware of contemporary trends in presentation and preparation.
- Must be an effective leader, manager, trainer, developer, administrator and team player with strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience in a 5 star luxury international hotel or a premier restaurant standard is required.
- International experience and/or training is an asset.
- Proven track record of cost control including food, labor, equipment and wastage to meet the hotels financial goals.
- Experience organizing off-site catering events is an asset.
- Previous experience teaching or doing demonstrations is an asset.
- BC Food Safe Certification is a requirement.
- Prior experience in a union environment is an asset
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The hotel is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
Why Work for Accor?
We are 300,000 experts committed to reinventing hospitality with unique and unrivalled experiences within our addresses. We’re so much more than hotels We are a worldwide Augmented Hospitality leader. We’re creating innovative lifestyle experiences, whether you live, work or play. Blaze your own trail from 30+ hotel brands, restaurants, nightclubs, spas, co-working spaces, and tech start-ups.
To connect with us, please visit careers.accor.com.