Overstory Media Group is an independent media company that delivers high-quality, fact-based journalism and storytelling to the communities we’re in. At OMG our goal is to empower communities – connected by geography, industry, or interest – with information delivered by the people within them. We do this by identifying journalists, creators, and existing brands who share in this belief and provide tools, resources, and financial support to help them create in their communities.
Today we have 13 community brands across Canada under our umbrella. We plan to continue building – with a plan to launch 50 new community brands in the coming years. Some of the newsletter-based journalism outlets we’ve built to date include Capital Daily, Vancouver Tech Journal, Burnaby Beacon, and Fraser Valley Current.
We are looking for an organized, scrappy, and relationship-oriented individual to execute events and drive initiatives that help our team grow the paid membership base for our Vancouver Island publications, which include Capital Daily, The Westshore, Oak Bay Local, and Tasting Victoria. We're looking for someone who is a great people person with a strong background in customer service and event management.
You'll be responsible for ideating, coordinating, and marketing events for our Island publications, as well as managing customer service and administration of current members and identifying and targeting new ones. This involves the coordination of merchandise production, mailing and logistics, and managing member status and satisfaction.
This is an exciting, full-time role for a self-starter who is not afraid to take creative chances, launch new activations ranging from audiences of 10 to 1,000, and meet new people.
This is a remote position based in Victoria, BC.
- You have a background in event management, running things end to end
- You love people and have experience in customer service and client support
- You are a self-starter with the ability to work independently
- You have a keen eye for detail
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills
- You have a working knowledge of WordPress and CMS and CRM systems like HubSpot
- You have a great understanding of Greater Victoria and the South Island and the people who live, work, and play here
- You have strong networking skills
- You have great copywriting skills
- You ideally have some experience with graphic design (Canva or other)
- You're well-versed in capturing and sharing content in real-time
- You have experience working with project briefs and run-of-show lists
- You ideally have some project management experience using tools like Asana or ClickUp
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to:
You’ll work directly with the GM of our Vancouver Island brands and collaborate with the Overstory marketing team to:
- Create and build relationships with locals, businesses, and industry associations
- Plan and run intimate, midsize, and large-scale events
- Manage all ticketing payment systems, invoicing, and pricing
- Manage membership initiatives, including responding to member questions, leading administrative and payment resolution, and managing budgets
- Work with the marketing team to develop seasonal and always-on membership campaigns
- Track and report on the success of events and membership initiatives
- Execute the development and delivery of merchandising and brand collaborations for readers and members
- Manage the membership inboxes, write regular member communications, and help to produce the monthly newsletter
Perks of working with us:
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
We are an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our mission as a company is to provide an equal opportunity that caters to inclusion and diversity within the workplace and extend our services within the community as a brand. We recognize and value individual differences and are committed to upholding this value to mirror the diversity within our country.
We encourage you to apply even if you don't have every aspect of the job description. We value grit and intelligence and know that skills can be acquired.
We thank you for your application in advance! Please note you will only be contacted in the event that your application is selected to move forward.