Exciting Opportunity Alert!
Join our dynamic team as an Early Childhood Educator or Assistant and play a key role in expanding our child care spaces!
We are seeking a values-aligned individual, that shares our inclusive, child & family-centered holistic approach and is passionate about nature, play based, emergent curriculum to join our new 3-5 program space!
The ECE/ECEA is responsible for assisting with daily programming, supporting families, and for children’s day to day success in our new licensed 3-5 programs, located at 1180 Queens Avenue.
The ideal candidate has a passion for creating inclusive child centered child care spaces and helps to implement developmentally appropriate emergent curriculum based on the interests of the children, while ensuring the health and safety of all children are met through Child Care Licensing Regulations and Fernwood NRG Child Care policies. Self-awareness of personal values, biases, and the ability to see how these affect your practice are fundamental to be able to succeed in this role.
Role Purpose: The Early Childhood Educator/Assistant is responsible for assisting with daily programming, supporting families, and for children’s day to day success in the centre. In this position, the educator will deliver high quality care in accordance with our philosophy and develop and implement developmentally appropriate emergent curriculum, while ensuring the health and safety of all children are met through Child Care Licensing Regulations and Fernwood NRG Child Care policies.
Reports to: Childcare Program Team Lead, 3-5 Coordinator, and Early Years Manager
Management status: non-management
Team Size: This role works within a team of up to 4 Educators.
Hours/Work Schedule: Permanent Full-time position with a maximum of 40 hrs/week, Monday-Friday.
Please note: Scheduled shifts typically fall between 7:00 am- 6:00 pm.
Work location(s): 1180 Queens Avenue
Compensation & Benefits:
ECE: $23.00 + $4 (ECE-WE) = $27.00 hourly
ECEA: $21.00 hourly
- The starting wage will depend on the successful candidate’s skills and experience, as well as their ability to receive the provincial ECE Wage Enhancement (ECE-WE).
- After 3 months of employment, you are eligible for paid sick time.
- After 6 months of successful employment, you are eligible for extended health benefits.
- After 6 months of successful employment, you become eligible for priority placement of your own children (biological or adopted) in Fernwood NRG’s child care programs, subject to availability, for children aged 8 months to 12 years.
- Paid professional development days.
- As a benefit of working with Fernwood NRG, staff members have access to discounts on Good Food Box and staff lunches and snacks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the health and wellbeing of the children by being supportive, caring, and present.
- Facilitates games and activities to meet the children’s interests and development levels.
- Supports with program set-up and clean-up, including snack and daily cleaning.
- Primary point of contact for parents and guardians.
- Promotes social-emotional wellbeing by identifying and labelling emotions in self and others.
- Promotes a child’s social-emotional development through individual observations and activities.
- Establishes and implements clear appropriate rules, limits, and guidelines for developmentally appropriate behaviour.
- Builds and maintains professional working relationships with parents/guardians and co-workers.
- Assists with daily cleaning and sanitizing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift and move chairs, cots, mats, etc. (up to 30lbs).
- Ability to work positively in a busy and loud environment.
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, run occasionally, crouch and bend frequently.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for Fernwood NRG’s mission and meet the below requirements:
- Must hold a current BC ECE or ECEA Certificate.
- Current First Aid Certification.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others, and has effective problem solving skills.
- Ability to take responsibility for the position responsibilities identified above, including identifying where you will require additional training or external assistance to succeed.
Preference given to candidates with the following skills, assets, or experience:
- Experience working directly with children aged 3-5.
- Familiar with, or ability to quickly gain familiarity with, BC Child Care Licensing Regulations.
- Ability to follow instructions and willingness to assume and carry out assigned tasks and to be accountable for results and actions, including quality of work.
- An understanding of and commitment to the importance of client confidentiality.
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, decolonization, and inclusion, including the ability to appreciate diversity, different opinions, lived experiences, backgrounds, and personality types.
- Candidates who feel they have lived and/or informal experience that is translatable to the job requirements, or can demonstrate a willingness to learn, are invited to include these notes in their application.
Candidates who progress through our selection process will be required to provide the following before an employment agreement is finalized:
- Must provide a record of immunization status.
- Must provide two professional references.
- All employees within Fernwood NRG require a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check upon being hired.
About Fernwood NRG: Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group (Fernwood NRG) is a multi-service non-profit community organization working on lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) lands in Victoria, BC. Fernwood NRG serves the Fernwood neighbourhood by:
- supporting individuals and families with affordable, high-quality childcare, programs, services, and housing,
- increasing food security through improving access to affordable, high-quality food,
- playing an active role in developing the neighbourhood economy, and
- engaging the neighbourhood through activities, events, and communications.
Fernwood NRG is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are valued in our decision-making, in our internal work, and our work in the Neighbourhood. We continue to work towards deeper organization-wide understanding and competence with anti-racism and decolonization. Employees’ lived experience and commitment to these values is highly valued. We recognize that people from communities who experience marginalization (e.g. on the basis of ethnicity, citizenship/immigration status, gender, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, etc) may be less likely to apply for leadership positions. We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for our mission and meet the core requirements below.
We look forward to your application!