The Root CellarVictoria, BCa month ago
The Root Cellar Village Green Grocer
is your fresh & innovative destination market
for extraordinary food experiences.
We are a market amongst many, but our business model stands alone by providing an experiential shopping atmosphere driven by a passion for sustainability, and a locally focused purchasing philosophy. We are currently undertaking the opening of a second Root Cellar location and are embarking on an exciting year ahead as we plan, create, and manifest this new project. This new location provides the opportunity to develop, strengthen and grow our Root Cellar Family, and we are seeking applicants as excited about what lies ahead as we are. We anticipate opening in the second half of this year, so the future is glowing with growth & opportunity for our team.
The Root Cellar is a family business, founded in 2008. A firm stance behind our motto ‘farm fresh, dirt cheap, delicious’ and a drive to brighten every customer’s day has resulted in our little market becoming a bustling community hub, now providing Vancouver Island’s largest selection of organic, local and conventional produce, a full service butcher and deli, a boutique florist and garden centre, artisanal grocery, dairy & breads, a bulk foods section and most recently a new coffee bar, bringing us to over 10,000 square feet, buzzing with over 120 employees.
At The Root Cellar, we believe that time spent gathered around the table is what connects us as people, families & communities. Good food is essential not only for survival but for our human need for togetherness. We want our customer’s experience of food to be extraordinary, beginning with their visit to The Root Cellar. To create this experience we seek passionate individuals, driven by a shared love of food, experience, and impact. We value integrity, candor, a sense of humour and individuals whose drive for excellence results in a more rewarding work experience for all – together we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the community where we live, work & play.
Our Deli Manager role is for a lover of leadership, food & customer service. Our customer facing deli is an upbeat work environment where we take great pride in elevating both food appreciation, and food values. You are a resourceful, detail oriented, self motivated leader who is eager to contribute to a culture that is all-inclusive, innovative, and focused on quality improvement.
We are seeking an experienced Deli Manager who is a strong leader with a hands on approach to managing people. Reporting to our General Manager, our Deli Manager will be part of our collaborative Management Team. Our ideal candidate, driven by their love of food, community, and teamwork, will inspire their team to efficiently run the daily operations of our Deli department while providing an exceptional shopping experience for our customers.
If you are a motivated contributor with solid leadership experience, a high level of personal accountability, advanced communication and team building skills, and a love for food and people, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead, manage and inspire Deli staff to ensure a positive and memorable customer experience.
- Ensure Team Member accountability, efficiency, and adherence to operating procedures.
- Manage department inventories by tracking weekly sales reports, and order product & supplies to meet customer requirements and the company's gross profit goals.
- Manage and increase department profitability and sales through effective budgeting, merchandising, controlling expenses and driving sales.
- Develop and implement merchandising plans and contribute creative ideas for the department’s marketing strategy.
- Control Deli expenses by improving operations and efficiencies, controlling labour costs, and reducing losses due to damages, spoiled product and shrink.
- Ensure employees work and operate deli equipment in a safe manner, following company Food Handling and Safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with your competitors and suggest & develop new products to keep your category exciting.
- Identify areas for improvement in operations and customer service, and suggest & implement changes and procedures to address these needs.
- Scheduling, Team Member reviews, and all related Human Resource duties.
- Work collaboratively with the General Manager, department heads and Deli staff to ensure that your department strongly represents The Root Cellar’s values, vision & mission.
- Manage and merchandise the department for maximum productivity and profit, with strict adherence to all food handling procedures and safety protocols.
- Effectively coordinate production, merchandising, and sales through ongoing planning, direction, goal setting, communication, and teamwork.
- Execute the training and development of the Deli Team to maintain the highest level of team productivity, enthusiasm, and commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Develop strategies to ensure that the profit and sales goals of the department are achieved.
- Handle all customer concerns and complaints in an effective and positive manner ensuring beneficial results.
- Maintain store and display signage to the company standards.
- Effectively respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner, providing solutions and proposing new ideas.
WHAT YOU'LL HAVE
- Minimum 2 years retail management experience in a grocery, food specialty or deli environment.
- Outstanding leadership skills; you serve as a role model for the department and all other store Team Members.
- Strength in written and verbal business communication, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for food and a love for fast paced work environments.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to manage time efficiently and adapt to changing priorities.
- Flexibility to work a variety of hours including days, evenings, and weekends.
- A strong business acumen with a proven track record of creating positive results.
- Demonstrates discretion, integrity, both open & fair-mindedness, and functions well under pressure.
- A high level of self accountability, and an appreciation for details & organization.
This is a full time position commencing promptly. This role is entitled to a competitive salary, and bonus structure & comprehensive benefits, an employee & family assistance package, as well as a 20% Team Member discount in store. We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, to grow and develop and to foster a culture of teamwork and innovation.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter.
We look forward to meeting you!
* applications received without a cover letter will not be considered.