At EY, you’ll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we’re counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
You’ll join our Enterprise Support Services (ESS) team helping support the important business enablement functions that keep our organization running strong. As a CBS professional, you will work across teams to provide the knowledge, resources and tools that help EY deliver exceptional quality service to our clients, win in the marketplace and support EY’s growth and profitability.
We are looking for a Proofreader for a full-time permanent position. As a Proofreader, you will proofread financial statements and technical documents across various industry sectors to verify that spelling, punctuation and formatting are correct and consistent. Your proofreading comments will also correct for grammar, use of language, consistent presentation of names/acronyms, and verify footing and cross-footing of financial statements. You will also consult with customers on correct proofreading standards, client-specific requests and standard EY styles. You must be able to work flexible hours with availability for overtime during our peak period.
Your key responsibilities
- Proofread original document to detect and markup for correction any typographical, grammatical or mathematical errors
- Review documents for layout of text and graphics, and check for compositional errors
- Track any changes, and use comparison/merge functionality in Microsoft Word, commenting and editing tools in Adobe Acrobat/PDF-XChange, various tools supporting digital projects and other tools, to complete assignments
- Support quality assurance and quality controls within the Creative Services Group (CSG) by proofreading documents accurately
- Participate as a team player in planning, scheduling and production
- Help train new proofreaders
- May cross-train staff in additional CSG functions, to provide flexibility of resources
- Understand and strictly adhere to EY quality standards and procedures, including CSG standards and guidelines
- Utilize the CSG database, to confirm that all time and materials are billed correctly, and that project instructions and customer interactions are fully documented
- Develop team momentum by being a good team member and/or leader, promoting and sharing leading practices with Enterprise Support Services/CSG staff
- Gain advanced knowledge of the EY brand, and raise awareness
Skills and attributes for success
- The individual in this role must have excellent proofreading skills, strong attention to detail and a rigorous approach. The individual in this role must also be able to quickly learn concepts related to financial statements and basic accounting, if they do not already possess such knowledge.
To qualify for the role, you must have
- Experience as a Proofreader
- Advanced and strong knowledge of English and French — post-secondary education in English/French/translation, and/or related discipline an asset
- Advanced knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and use of style manuals
- Competency at applying existing standards to new or different documents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat/PDF-XChange
- Strong communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to perform under pressure, within tight deadlines
- Moderate understanding of mathematics and accounting functions
- Experience in translation/communications services or in an accounting or legal firm an asset
Ideally, you’ll also have
The ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic team-oriented environment