Compensation and Classification Specialist
BC TransitVictoria, BC3 months ago
What will you do?
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for the research, design and execution of the organization’s overall compensation program. You will apply your expertise to develop compensation strategies that align with current and future business needs.
You’ll Specifically Have The Opportunity To
- Provide expert guidance, advice and education to the People and Culture team and BC Transit People Leaders job/work design, classification and compensation, salary recommendations and treatment for promotions/transfers/job evaluations and related labour relations issues.
- Develop, maintain and communicate all aspects of the BC Transit Compensation Program within required frameworks and setting appropriate pay bands, defining and implementing salary structure and position leveling.
- Analyze and evaluate new and existing exempt and union jobs and job descriptions to determine appropriate compensation, external market comparison and alignment within internal structure.
- Lead the in-depth analysis of current positions by conducting market-pricing and banding by level to confirm consistency and decipher areas of improvement.
- Participate in the planning, administration and reporting of the annual compensation process including base salary increases and equity recommendations. This process requires the creation of complex spreadsheets and compilation of data from multiple sources.
- Conduct miscellaneous analyses, including creating complex reports, to support BC Transit compensation programs.
- Support and provide compensation and classification expertise and directions in costing for collective bargaining and the implementation of collective agreement changes
- Providing analysis, advice and education to managers on compensation issues, and interpreting compensation policies.
- Partners with People and Culture Advisors, collaborating on information sharing, problem-solving, and achieving desired business outcomes for designated client groups. Also collaborates with HRIS Specialists on the design and implementation of processes and reports for compensation.
- Participate in various industry-related compensation surveys and utilize data to ensure competitive pay practices.
- Monitor trends and best practices and make recommendations that align with company's compensation philosophy.
- Stay current with local and national legislative and regulatory changes; analyze and evaluate impact to company and recommend action.
- Participate in, and represent the Employer on, the Joint Evaluation Committee for union job evaluations.
What education will you need to be successful?
We love lifelong Learners and recommend the following mix of education or certifications to be successful in conjunction with relevant experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in a field such as Business Administration, Human Resources, Finance or a related field preferred
- 5 years’ direct compensation and classification experience, preferably in a multi-union public sector organization
- Hands on experience in the design of compensation programs and systems
- Strong experience with reviewing and analyzing compensation data
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to develop and implement strategies
To view the full job description for this role please see the attached document.
- Testing will be sent out as part of the recruitment process on April 1, 2021 and will be due back on April 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm PST
- Remote work may be required
- The position requires the competition of a Criminal Record Check Or Vulnerable Sector Search
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process
- An eligibility list may be established for future vacancies
- If you have a disability which requires an accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you
BC Transit Offers:
- Life Insurance
- Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Vacation (based on the terms outlined in the appropriate collective agreement or exempt policy handbook)
- Extended Health Benefits
- Pension Plan
- Health and Wellness Spending account
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots (not currently open due to COVID-19)
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus taxable dependant passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program – Recognizing Excellent Values (REV)
We believe that diversity of thought and experience fuels innovation. In keeping with this belief, we do not discriminate on any basis. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
While we welcome all applications, we will only respond directly to those who are short-listed for a role. Thanks in advance for your understanding and wishing you all the best in your career journey.