The Community Engagement Manager will lead Dance Victoria’s community programming, outreach, and audience development efforts from strategy to execution. The ideal candidate is someone who connects deeply with Dance Victoria’s mission; is committed to cultivating diverse audiences; has an entrepreneurial, abundance mindset; and can work collaboratively with colleagues and external partners.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this new position will play a key role in shaping the direction and impact of Dance Victoria’s engagement in the community, prioritizing Reconciliation, equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. For over ten years, Dance Victoria has provided free tickets to community members with financial barriers through the Nutcracker Kids program. In addition, visiting dance companies provide masterclasses for students through Dance Victoria’s partnership with local studios.
Opportunities for the Community Engagement Manager include, but are not limited to, expanding Dance Victoria’s community workshops and masterclasses; deepening relationships with existing and prospective community partners, including local school districts; and re-imagining access to Dance Victoria’s performances, programs, and spaces.
In addition, the Community Engagement Manager will collaborate closely with Dance Victoria’s Marketing Manager to develop social media and digital marketing strategies, to engage in outreach and delivery of collateral to community partners, and to realize Dance Victoria’s Pay Your Age and Night Moves young member programs.
Community Programming & Partnerships
- Develop, manage and evaluate community programming that broadens the reach of Dance Victoria’s presentations and aligns with Dance Victoria’s strategic plan;
- Steward partnerships with local non-profit, social impact, and community organizations;
- Commit to Reconciliation, equity, diversity, and inclusion as core values in all activities and communications;
- Set mutual expectations and goals with community partners that align with Dance Victoria’s mission, values, and resources;
- Manage ticket distribution to equity-deserving communities through the Nutcracker Kids and Dance Is For Everyone access programs;
- Lead community engagement efforts and studio partnerships related to Dance Days, during the 10-day festival and year-round;
- Manage project budgets and track progress towards expense and, when applicable, earned revenue targets;
- Work in partnership with Artist Programs & Studio Manager to identify opportunities to leverage and engage DV resident artists in community programming; and
- Define and track short- and long-term success metrics, making recommendations to strengthen impact based on participant, audience, and community partner feedback; engagement data/demographics; and emerging opportunities.
- Envision a framework for relationship development that strengthens Dance Victoria’s engagement of diverse communities, including those who may not frequent arts and cultural institutions;
- Generate new ideas and execute inclusion-based marketing and engagement strategies that inform all aspects of DV’s promotional campaigns;
- Elevate Dance Victoria’s efforts to convert first-time ticket buyers into return patrons, subscribers, donors and sponsors;
- Lead the coordination of Dance Victoria’s young member programs Pay Your Age and Night Moves, including Night Moves events;
- Manage DV’s grassroots marketing efforts, including attending and/or tabling at community events, distributing posters and other collateral, and facilitating group sales; and
- Monitor intersectional marketing trends, identifying opportunities to engage new audiences.
Social Media & Digital Marketing
- In partnership with Marketing Manager, set Dance Victoria’s annual social media marketing strategy; create and manage the social media calendar; and oversee the organization’s overall social media presence;
- Research, write and post original and authentic content for social media platforms and e-newsletters;
- Capture photographs, video, and other documentation of Dance Victoria events, posting to social media platforms and archiving assets for later use; and
- Compile monthly social media statistical reports to make informed decisions for future social media tactics and strategies.
- Post-secondary degree (or equivalent experience) with 3-5+ years of experience in community engagement, marketing, arts administration, or other non-profit/community-based work;
- Passion for dance and the performing arts;
- Fluency in English language. Proficiency in a 2nd language is an asset;
- A current BC driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is an asset; and
- Ability to work periodically during weekends and evenings for events.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Exceptional interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Passion for and commitment to Reconciliation, equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility;
- Demonstrated experience building strong, enduring relationships; and managing relationships with multiple stakeholders;
- Self-starter able to work in a new role and navigate ambiguity;
- Creativity and entrepreneurial drive;
- Experience marketing and building brands on social media;
- Trustworthy and credible with excellent judgment; and
- Experience using Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; Survey Monkey; and video collaboration tools (Zoom).
Terms & Compensation
- Base pay of $48,000-$58,000 DOE annually, paid bi-weekly;
- This is an onsite position with office hours of 8:30 am-4:30 pm, Monday to Friday;
- During events and performances, work hours may shift to accommodate evening and weekend work; and
- “Time off in lieu” is a guiding principle in Dance Victoria’s schedule of work hours.
The Community Engagement Manager is subject to the following additional benefits:
- Extended health benefits as per the Alliance for Arts and Culture program;
- Three (3) weeks paid vacation to be taken as mutually-agreed;
- $25 per month stipend for personal cell phone usage; and
- Complimentary season tickets.
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends, as needed;
- Ability to travel for work, as required; and
- Must submit to a criminal background check.
Dance Victoria is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive working environment. Candidates of historically underrepresented communities, including persons of colour, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ individuals, are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Gillian Jones, Executive Director at Gillian@dancevictoria.com no later than Friday, June 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM PST. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.