Are you a user-centered communication designer who can collaborate and deliver engaging experiences across domain areas? Then this is the perfect opportunity for you! Our brand and innovation team is hiring a Victoria-area Communications Designer for an extended maternity leave contract (ending September 2023).
This is an exciting time to join us, as new visual guidelines and design management tools are being rolled out across the organization. Applicants with a digital portfolio are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Manager, Brand and Innovation, the Communication Designer is accountable for developing, planning, prototyping, and implementing designs for corporate communications tailored to public, staff, medical staff and other stakeholder experiences throughout Island Health.
The position is ideal for a user-centered communication designer who can leverage their design theory, critical thinking and technical skills with their experience in print, product, digital and interactive projects to transform health design across a range of visual, informational, and service-oriented design solutions.
To nourish the tangible and intangible elements of Island Health's brand, design sprints can include an information design poster for a public health campaign, form design enhancements for physician referrals, a suite of visual identity products for an online store, motion graphics for an internal health promotion campaign, wireframes for a recruiting website initiative, patient persona development for clinical trials, leading a design thinking workshop for colleagues and patient advisors, and co-designing a service journey map with departments and First Nations patient partners.
The designer should be problem-oriented and future focused, curious and user-centered, collaborative and adaptable, courageous and aspirational.
Travel may be a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the Vancouver Island Health Authority in accordance with the service assignment and may require the use of a personal vehicle; and Valid BC Driver's License.QUALIFICATIONSEDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Design, Media Arts, Interactive, Indigenous Visual Culture, Communications or related fields. Three to five years of communication design experience with print, product, digital and interactive projects preferably in a health care setting.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Communication design abilities and experience to develop user-focused interactive, display, print, and online materials for a variety of audiences
- Skill in business writing to produce or advise on content for compelling internal and external publications
- Expertise in web design, user experience and infographic development
- Skill and proficiency in organizational electronic communication technology and web-based communications
- Knowledge of technical issues relating to production of digital, print and physical materials
- Ability to plan, organize, set, accomplish and measure objectives and results, as well as set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and teams in a wide variety of settings across the organization, applying interpersonal skills, negotiation skills and taking a problem-solving, service design approach
- Advanced computer skills in graphic design and word processing
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy and to act with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position