Closing date: December 1, 2022
Cloud (Microsoft 365) Specialist (Continuous)
Information Technology Department
Victoria is a vibrant, diverse and sustainably-focused city, renowned as a global tourist destination, hosting over 3.5 million visitors annually, and a place with excellent quality of life. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the capital of British Columbia, the city of Victoria is home to 92,000 people and is the economic and cultural hub for the region’s 350,000 residents.
Through it's digital transformation initiative, the City of Victoria is modernizing and pivoting to a cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) delivery model for enterprise business applications. Reporting to the Information Manager in the IT department, the Cloud Solution Specialist will assist with continued operationalization and delivery of cloud services that support the Information Management division’s mandate, as well as the underpinning governance and management processes. As the Cloud Solution Specialist in the Information Management Division, you will configure, administer and optimize cloud-based solutions and related cloud components (IaaS and PaaS), with a focus on Microsoft 365 (SharePoint Online, Teams and the Power Platform) and Microsoft Azure. This includes configuring new implementations using automation solutions, developing integrations both inside and outside of the platform, and implementing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the cloud environment.
This role will collaborate with the Business Solutions and IT Operations divisions within the IT Department as well as across the City’s business areas and will support the administration of cloud-based solutions and Microsoft 365 applications as well as the City’s Modern Workplace program.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to contribute to the digital transformation of the City, we want to hear from you!
Support, administer and optimize cloud-based solutions and related cloud components, with a focus on Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Azure. This includes configuring new implementations using automation solutions, developing integrations both inside and outside of the platform, and implementing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the cloud environment.
- Builds and supports cloud-based services and solutions based on defined patterns.
- Works closely with other team members, management, specialized IT areas and application support teams to ensure that solutions are built to deliver availability, reliability, and scalability.
- Creates and maintains Microsoft Teams, SharePoint Sites, Power Platform automation and Microsoft 365 architecture, ensuring best patterns and practices.
- Develops and maintains frameworks and standards for SharePoint and Group permissions, SharePoint sites, Hub sites, etc.
- Responsible for developing Microsoft Teams and implementing Microsoft 365 Groups architecture, standards, integrations.
- Supports an enterprise-wide Microsoft 365 information architecture related to data management, content management, and service management.
- Assists with development of integrations between SharePoint, ERP systems, data repositories, and other applications.
- Creates forms with complex workflows and improves business process automations.
- Participates in key process improvements as they relate to the cloud environment.
- Develops PowerShell scripts to assist with the daily operations and enhancements.
- Contributes to a centre of excellence framework and usage guidelines across the Microsoft 365 platform.
- Provides daily administrative and maintenance support for the corporate electronic document and records management system (EDRMS).
- Ensures the corporate EDRMS is optimized for use with Microsoft 365 to meet organizational business requirements, through the use of sensitivity labels and retention policies.
- Evaluates and recommends tools, extensions and add-ons to assist with the maintenance and support of EDRMS.
- Monitors and troubleshoots Microsoft 365 operational and technical issues, liaises with other IT support professionals to ensure timely resolution and communicates issues and service disruptions.
- Manages and responds to tier 2/3 service requests and provide end user support as required.
- Develops and maintains cloud environment documentation and end user training materials as required.
- Provides advice to IT leadership team on governance, alternatives and solutions, product evaluation, and risk assessment of existing and future cloud solutions.
- Monitors Microsoft 365 system usage and optimizes performance.
- Performs user requirement analysis and partners with users to develop and build solutions that meet business needs and meet corporate standards.
- Trains and supports business champions ensuring best practices are used and corporate standards are adhered to.
- Works with project managers, vendors and consulting firms to configure, maintain, evaluate and document Microsoft 365 applications.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work is performed according to established policies or procedures or is assigned by Supervisor.
Work is reviewed through discussions with Supervisor.
Issues such as major system changes, expenditures and recourse/ policy matters are discussed with Supervisor with recommendations.
Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding (often).
Long periods of intense concentration while preparing reports, recommendations, performing reviews and testing application software (often).
Meet multiple deadlines with conflicting priorities (often).
Focus on a variety of source data and computer for long periods (often).
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience with Scripting languages (Python, Microsoft PowerShell, etc.)
- Experience in DevOps environments and the use of automation to deliver business value
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, preferably with exposure to Scrum
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, verbally and in writing
- Work effectively with multi-disciplinary teams which include customer stakeholders, project managers, business analysts, and developers
- Experience with Azure technologies to support the Microsoft 365 line of business applications
- Experience architecting, administering and maintaining SharePoint Online environments
- Experience with migrating data across different cloud environments or from on-premises infrastructure.
- Experience with SharePoint and Active Directory security and integration
- Experience with hybrid identity management with Azure Active Directory
- Experience with workflow development using Microsoft 365.
- Experience with IT troubleshooting techniques and an understanding of IT methodologies and procedures
- Knowledge of electronic document and record management systems.
- Experience with Web Services (SOAP, REST, WCF, ASP.Net Web API)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong time management, prioritization, and organizational skills
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related discipline (4 years).
- Additional Microsoft certifications for Microsoft 365 or Azure considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Agile best practices preferable.
- Other Cloud provider certifications such as Amazon AWS or Google Compute would be an asset.
- Five (5) years of relevant work experience in cloud solution administration in an enterprise environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Work schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm, 35 hour work week
$52.56 per hour, Pay Grade 18
Job Code #4434
This is a CUPE Local 50 Position
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Applicants who are not current City of Victoria employees will be asked to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 during the recruitment process. External applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated based on a protected legal ground as defined in the BC Human Rights Code may request an accommodation.
At the City of Victoria, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.