The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
The Purchasing Services Buyer is responsible for acquiring low risk goods and services, fulfilling services requests from faculty and staff across the University, sourcing suppliers and service providers, assisting Purchasing Officers in complex procurement initiatives, and responding to client and supplier queries. The Buyer position also provides ongoing direct client services related to Web Requisitions, Purchase Orders, Service Agreements,Travel, Purchasing Cards, FAST reporting, Assets Disposal, Signing Authority, Customs and Brokerage, and other Purchasing Services general duties. The position plays a key role in providing timely purchasing services to the University and providing exceptional customer service.
A minimum of five (5) years experience in a similar role, and two (2) years of buying experience, preferably in a post-secondary or institutional environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Experience leading or supervising staff
- Knowledge of UVic Finance (FAST) and Purchasing systems, policies and procedures would be considered an asset
- Experience working within large procurement projects
- Experience providing purchasing training
- Comprehensive general knowledge of public procurement, supply management, logistics, and services contracts principles and their application to University procurement
- Excellent computer skills including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, website content management, and browser based software (Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat, Banner, Software as Service, etc.)
- Working knowledge of or willingness to learn relevant specialized information systems, including Bonfire, MERX, Cascade, and Request Tracker
- Strong customer service orientation with focus on service excellence
- Diplomacy, tact, professionalism and understanding of confidentiality are required at all times
- Ability to exercise initiative, work quickly and accurately with frequent interruptions
- Ability to interpret and explain purchasing policies and procedures, identify problems and understand and apply complex rules in accordance with policies, procedures and regulations
- Ability to provide clear, concise and complete oral and written information (including Excel reports) at a level appropriate to the audience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team, and relate effectively with all stakeholders at the university
- Ability to independently organize, prioritize a large workload, work under pressure and meet strict and often emergent and changing deadlines while taking into consideration changing priorities, deadlines, volume or work and available resources.
- Ability to resolve tasks and/or problems by exercising judgment, and employing critical thinking to implement appropriate solutions where few precedents exist
- High level attention to detail, able to review and analyze exceptions and discrepancies and provide resolutions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to relate well and work effectively within a team environment, as well as the larger UVic community and external agencies
- 2 Year Business Administration, Accounting or similar diploma
- Completion of a related purchasing or supply chain management program would be considered an asset
The work requires occasional light physical effort to lift and carry file boxes, and requires sitting for lengthy periods of time.