When it comes to innovation, you know what you’re talking about. Whether it’s AI, agri-tech, green tech, you know who the big players are in Victoria and you can name drop the founders leading those firms. You can easily ramble off the hottest startups that were born in Victoria and the innovators that are on to the next big thing. You're connected to the community and know where to get all the info on the latest funding announcements, IPOs, acquisitions, and more.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who is passionate about tech and innovation news in Victoria, and can work in a fast-paced, start-up environment. Having the ability to wear multiple hats is important, as is a can-do attitude! Although previous journalism experience is an asset, so too is personal knowledge of the local tech and innovation ecosystem.
This is a full-time, remote opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing media organization that’s dedicated to connecting audiences and growing communities.
- You know how to write and edit content and have experience with a print/online publication or as a communication professional.
- You have a strong interest and knowledge in the local tech and innovation landscape in Greater Victoria and across Vancouver Island.
- You have demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content, content marketing, and social media best practices and tactics.
- You have the ability to critically analyze, contextualize, and question information, opinions, and data.
- You have a growth mindset, with a commitment to continuous improvement of organizational processes.
- You have excellent communication, presentation, organizational, and people leadership skills.
- You’re able to give and take feedback in the pursuit of better reporting.
- You have a strong understanding of journalism ethics and moral underpinnings of those ethics.
- You know how to use WordPress and similar CMS platforms, and ActiveCampaign or a similar ESP.
- You have some photography and image design skills.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Produce a weekly newsletter helping readers understand the local people, ideas, and technologies shaping their community and world.
- Write in-depth, longform stories and profiles on change makers and developments in tech and innovation.
- Conduct interviews and attend events, taking photos, videos, and audio recordings as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals, including peers at other publications, PR/marketing reps, and professional services firms.
- Keep up to date with technology, business, and political news and events happening around the city and province.
- Help grow the publication to become the leading voice in the region for tech and innovation news.
Perks of working with us:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package.
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy.
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture.