When it comes to innovation, you know what you’re talking about. Whether it’s AI, clean tech, fintech, you know who the big players are in Victoria and you can name drop the founders leading those firms. You can easily ramble off the hottest startups that were born in YYJ and the innovators that are on to the next big thing. You're connected to the community and know where to get all the info on the latest funding announcements, IPOs, acquisitions, and more. Does this sound like you?
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who is passionate about tech and innovation news in Victoria, and can work in a fast-paced, start-up environment. Having the ability to wear multiple hats is important, as is a can-do attitude! Although previous journalism experience is an asset, so too is personal knowledge of the local tech and innovation ecosystem.
This is a full-time, remote opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing media organization that’s dedicated to connecting audiences and growing communities.
What you'll do:
- Produce a weekly newsletter helping readers understand the local people, ideas, and technologies shaping their community and world.
- Write in-depth, longform stories and profiles on change makers and developments in tech and innovation.
- Conduct interviews and attend events, taking photos, videos, and audio recordings as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals, including peers at other publications, PR/marketing reps, and professionals services firms.
- Keep up to date with technology, business, and political news and events happening around the city and province.
- Help grow the publication to become the leading voice in the region for tech and innovation news.
What you bring:
- Writing and editing experience with a print or online publication.
- Strong interest and knowledge in the local tech and innovation landscape in Victoria and Vancouver Island.
- Demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content, content marketing, and social media best practices and tactics.
- Ability to critically analyze, contextualize, and question information, opinions, and data.
- A growth mindset, with a commitment to continuous improvement of organizational processes.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and people leadership skills.
- Be able to give and receive feedback in pursuit of better reporting.
- Have a strong understanding of journalism ethics and the moral underpinnings of those ethics.
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS, and Active Campaign or other ESP.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at a time.
- Photography and image design skills are an asset.
Benefits of working with us:
- Medical/dental/vision benefits after a probationary period.
- Working remotely, wherever you want.
- Potential for long-term career growth and professional development in a fast-growing startup.