Assistant Meat Manager
The Root CellarVictoria, BCa month ago
The Root Cellar Village Green Grocer
is your fresh & innovative destination market
for extraordinary food experiences.
We are a market amongst many, but our business model stands alone by providing an experiential shopping atmosphere driven by a passion for sustainability, and a locally focused purchasing philosophy. We are currently undertaking the opening of a second Root Cellar location and are embarking on an exciting year ahead as we plan, create, and manifest this new project. This new location provides the opportunity to develop, strengthen and grow our Root Cellar Family, and we are seeking applicants as excited about what lies ahead as we are. We anticipate opening in the second half of this year, so the future is glowing with growth & opportunity for our team.
The Root Cellar is a family business, founded in 2008. A firm stance behind our motto ‘farm fresh, dirt cheap, delicious’ and a drive to brighten every customer’s day has resulted in our little market becoming a bustling community hub, now providing Vancouver Island’s largest selection of organic, local and conventional produce, a full service butcher and deli, a boutique florist and garden centre, artisanal grocery, dairy & breads, a bulk foods section and most recently a new coffee bar, bringing us to over 10,000 square feet, buzzing with over 120 employees.
At The Root Cellar, we believe that time spent gathered around the table is what connects us as people, families & communities. Good food is essential not only for survival but for our human need for togetherness. We want our customer’s experience of food to be extraordinary, beginning with their visit to The Root Cellar. To create this experience we seek passionate individuals, driven by a shared love of food, experience, and impact. We value integrity, candor, a sense of humour and individuals whose drive for excellence results in a more rewarding work experience for all – together we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the community where we live, work & play.
If you are a motivated contributor with solid leadership experience, a high level of personal accountability, advanced communication and team building skills, and a love for food and people, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for an Assistant Meat Manager to join our growing team. Our meat market is focused on local, sustainable, quality meats sourcing from a wide range of Island producers. We take pride in ensuring all our products free of fillers and are hormone & antibiotic free. Our butchers are masters of their craft, and our recipes are created in house using the finest ingredients. Our Assistant Meat Manager will model outstanding interpersonal skills, leadership, teamwork, superior decision making, and commitment to the success of The Root Cellar Village Green Grocer team.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work collaboratively with our Meat Department Manager to lead, manage, and inspire Meat Department staff to ensure a positive and memorable customer experience.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership and a passion for motivating and developing an effective team.
- Assist the Department Manager in achieving all financial targets and maximizes sales and margins, including appropriate sales forecasting and labour cost control.
- Maintain product quality, product loss, and department man hours vs. sales to the company standards.
- Lead the implementation of company policies and procedures including Health & Safety, Food Safety and loss prevention.
- Support and participate in the training and development of the Deli Team to maintain the highest level of team productivity, enthusiasm, and commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Work collaboratively with the Meat Manager and Team to ensure that your department strongly represents The Root Cellar’s values, vision & mission.
- Merchandise, manage inventory and schedule to meet financial objectives.
- Be a role model and inspire behaviour consistent with our values.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all Team Members, customers, and vendors.
WHAT YOU'LL HAVE:
- Minimum of 1 year of retail management experience in a meat department.
- Experienced in sausage-making and the creation of recipes to make specialty in-house products for retail sale.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; you serve as a role model for the department and all other store Team Members.
- A passion for food and a love for fast paced work environments.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to manage time efficiently and adapt to changing priorities.
- Flexibility to work a variety of hours including days, evenings, and weekends.
- A strong business acumen with a proven track record of creating positive results.
- Demonstrates discretion, integrity, both open & fair-mindedness, and functions well under pressure.
- A high level of self accountability, and an appreciation for details & organization.
This is a full time position commencing promptly. This role is entitled to a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, an employee & family assistance package, and a 20% Team Member discount in store. We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, to grow and develop and to foster a culture of teamwork and innovation.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter.
We look forward to meeting you!
* applications received without a cover letter will not be considered.