The Root Cellar Village Green Grocer is your fresh & innovative destination market for extraordinary food experiences.
At The Root Cellar, we believe that time spent gathered around the table is what connects us as people, families & communities. Good food is essential for survival and our human need for togetherness. We want our customer’s experience of food to be extraordinary, beginning with their visit to The Root Cellar. To create this experience, we seek passionate individuals driven by a shared love of food, experience, and impact. We value integrity, candour, a sense of humour and individuals whose drive for excellence results in a more rewarding work experience for all – together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the community where we live, work & play.
Our Assistant Deli Manager role is for a lover of leadership, food & exceptional customer experience. Our customer-facing deli is an upbeat work environment where we take great pride in elevating food appreciation and values.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work collaboratively with our Deli Manager to lead, manage, and inspire Deli staff to ensure a positive and memorable customer experience.
- Implement merchandising plans and contribute creative ideas for the department’s marketing strategy.
- Control Deli expenses by improving operations and efficiencies, controlling labour costs and reducing losses due to damages, spoiled products and shrink.
- Identify areas for improvement in operations and customer service and suggest and implement changes and procedures to address these needs.
- Work collaboratively with the Deli Manager and Team to ensure that your department strongly represents The Root Cellar’s values, vision & mission.
- Assist in managing and merchandising the department for maximum productivity and profit, strictly adhering to all food handling procedures and safety protocols.
- Oversee production, merchandising, and sales through ongoing planning, direction, goal setting, communication, and teamwork.
- Support and participate in the training and development of the Deli Team to maintain the highest level of team productivity, enthusiasm, and commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Handle all customer concerns and complaints effectively and positively, ensuring beneficial results.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE COMES EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- Minimum one year of retail management experience in a grocery, food specialty or deli environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; you serve as a role model for the department and all other stores Team Members.
- A passion for food and a love for fast-paced work environments.
- Flexibility to work various hours, including days, evenings, and weekends.
- Demonstrates discretion, integrity, and both open & fair-mindedness and functions well under pressure.
- A high level of self-accountability and an appreciation for details & organization.
This is a full-time position commencing promptly. This role is entitled to a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, an employee & family assistance package, and a 20% Team Member discount in-store. We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, grow and develop, and foster a culture of teamwork and innovation.
If you want to apply for this career opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter.
We look forward to meeting you!
* Applications must have a cover letter to be considered.