Job Description: Administrative Services Coordinator – Updated September 2023
The administrative services coordinator performs a variety of consultative and administrative duties in support of the Association’s operations in a professional and timely manner. As a point of first contact for faculty members, the incumbent is required to communicate in person, on the phone and via email with a high degree of empathy and professionalism and to act with a considerable degree of confidentiality, initiative, and independence. Duties include communications, finance, general office management, administration of the PD Fund, and other projects as needed. The Administrative Services Coordinator (ASC) provides support to the president, the executive, the Labour Relations Advisor, and CCFA standing committees and may participate in meetings as a non-voting member.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of unionized workplaces, including the duty of representation
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Intermediate bookkeeping skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including empathy and respect for diversity
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal direction
- Commitment to confidentiality and impartiality
- Project management
- Advanced computer skills and digital fluency in:
- Microsoft 365 (extensive knowledge of Excel, SharePoint and Access), QuickBooks, WordPress, virtual meeting & collaboration apps, and various Cloud based storage
- Reconciles Member Details with contracts;
- Reviews contracts for consistency with the CCFA Collective Agreement;
- Tracks contract history to determine member eligibility to contract rights;
- Provides members with contract documentation;
- Oversees access to faculty association electronic records; and
- Ensures that the CCFA Member database, email lists, and files are up to date.
- Communicates with the Executive on union priorities and tasks. Presently main point of contact is President and CMC, CNC and, PD Chair:
- Assists the president and committee chairs in preparing and distributing communications;
- Responds to enquires from faculty members; and
- Participates in CCFA communication planning including:
- camosunfaculty.ca website maintenance; Email newsletters and subscriptions; Faculty association email account maintenance; Membership survey development & distribution; Events and other opportunities for membership input; Online and print materials for the Association; and
- General correspondence, event invitations and others as directed.
- Conducts the day-to-day financial operation of the association including budget, bookkeeping, financial statements and reports, receipt of dues, accounts receivable, accounts payable, entering and verifying computer/journal entries, banking, monitoring investments.
- Coordinates the management of CCFA investments, including discussions with investment advisors and recommendations to the treasurer and the executive committee; maintains an awareness of the Association’s financial needs and investment conditions.
- Ensures that executive release billings adhere to collective agreement language; liaises with school offices and the college finance department although communication initiates through the President and CMC Chair.
- Assists in developing finance reports for meeting of the general membership and answers finance related questions from the Executive.
- Coordinates the annual audit including responding to questions and correspondence from auditors on such matters as financial policies, the staff Collective Agreement, new accounts, changes to investments; Participates in the review and discussion the audited statements with auditors; and reviews auditors’ final report with the executive.
- Assists with meeting preparations including room booking, agendas and meeting materials;
- Conducts research using various sources as requested by the president, designate or committee chairs;
- Liaises with FPSE as required;
- Attends and takes minutes for standing committee meetings as requested, provided meetings are within scheduled CCFA employee hours;
- Provides advice and guidance on committee matters and may participate in meeting discussions as a non-voting member;
- Assists in the training of executive officers, committee chairs and committee members in processes and policies related to their respective responsibilities;
- Assists CMC Chair with organization of grievance files and documentation; and
- Provides administrative support to committee chairs as needed.
- Communicates with the PD chair on PD funding guidelines, processes, and budgets;
- Liaises with Camosun College Finance Department regarding PD fund;
- Administers the PD funds and reconciles the PD fund for accuracy;
- Prepares a variety of reports to the PD chair on fund usage;
- Communicates with members on PD guidelines, processes, systems, and PD committee decisions and advises faculty members on PD options;
- Assists with information sessions and other activities associated with the PD funding process;
- Liaises with School offices and others involved with PD processes; and
- Updates PD forms and guidelines documents.
Visit our detailed posting at https://camosunfaculty.ca/seeking-administrative-services-coordinator/ for more information.
Post-secondary degree in a related discipline and five years of related experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience working with budgets and bookkeeping software (i.e. QuickBooks) and experience functioning within in a unionized workplace is an asset.
We desire the successful candidate to start no later than the week of November 13, 2023 but would welcome an earlier one.
Compensation & Hours of Work:
The starting wage for this position is $39.17/hr for 40 hours of work per/week. In lieu of health and other benefits, in accordance with Article 8.03(b) of the 2022-2024 CUPE 1004 Collective Agreement, Employees receive an additional twenty percent (20%) of their basic pay to be paid bi-weekly. In lieu of pension contributions, Employees currently receive ten percent (10%) of their basic pay to be paid bi-weekly until a date is determined for enrolling all eligible CUPE 1004 employees in the Municipal Pension Plan.*
Working Conditions & Location:
The CCFA offices are located on the Lansdowne Campus of Camosun College in the Young Building. The successful applicant for this position will carry out their duties in a variety of in-office, blended, and remote environments across both our Lansdowne and Interurban Campuses. Questions about our work-from-home arrangements are welcome. These will vary depending on the portfolio of your assigned work, suitability of your working environment, and coordinating office hours with other CUPE 1004 employees, union executives and committees.
The Camosun College Faculty Association (CCFA) serves it’s members while residing on the traditional and unceded territories of the Lkwungen (Esquimalt and Songhees) and W̱SÁNEĆ (Pauquachin, Tsartlip, Tsawout, Tseycum) peoples. We express our profound gratitude to our traditional hosts’ welcome and tolerance of our uninvited presence while we strive to dismantle our colonial, patriarchal, and racist cultural biases.
The Camosun College Faculty Association is a certified Labour Union representing the voices of over 700 continuing and term members employed at Camosun College. We support and advocate for their employment rights under our collective agreement and seek to improve working conditions through collective bargaining. Together we are stronger.
The CCFA is proud to be a Unionized Employer. Our staff are members of CUPE 1004.
We are inclusive, collaborative, and our work is rewarding. Our goal is to to recruit great people. And we know better than anyone what that takes. We’re striving to be the employer we all wish we had! Join us and you’ll enjoy Fair Wages, Healthy Work-Life Balance, Rewarding Work Duties, Excellent Working Conditions, and Good Benefits. Unions need to work harder than ever to improve our services to members and ensure that our employer accords every single one of us ALL of our bargained contract rights.