In accordance with the University's Equity Plan and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference will be given to members of the following designated group(s). Candidates from the group(s) who wish to qualify for preferential consideration are encouraged to self-identify.
- Persons with disabilities
- Members of visible minorities
- Indigenous Peoples
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
The School of Music is an academic unit in the Faculty of Fine Arts with a complement of 23 regular faculty members, 5 support staff and up to 20 sessional lecturers and music performance instructors. It houses a performance venue presenting over 170 concerts and events during the academic year and hosting community groups throughout the year.
Under the supervision of the Administrative Officer, the Administrative Assistant is the front-line receptionist providing excellent customer service to students, staff, faculty and members of the public. The Administrative Assistant, as the first point of contact, strives to represent the School of Music in a welcoming and professional manner. The position also serves as assistant to the Director of the School, providing administrative and scheduling support. The Administrative Assistant works closely with other School of Music staff, providing support and facilitating their work.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to preparing materials such as internal and external correspondence, departmental lists and form templates, concert programs, and invoices. In addition, the Administrative Assistant maintains student files, processes room bookings, accurately directs students to online and in-person academic resources, orders office supplies; reports maintenance issues and requests to Facilities Management; and manages the School's key/access inventory and assignments.
- Ability to act effectively under limited supervision
- Excellent customer service; ability to handle difficult interactions calmly and professionally
- Strong communication skills; aptitude for assisting those whose first language is not English
- Ability to work in an environment with significant noise volume
- Strong clerical skills, including word processing, spreadsheet creation and use of standard office technology
- Detail-oriented with extreme accuracy shown in preparation of documents and updating records
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively in a busy team-oriented environment with frequent interruptions
- Aptitude for applying acquired knowledge across multiple and changing computing platforms
- Ability to exercise good judgement
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and abide by privacy protocols.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Adobe InDesign
- Knowledge of BANNER and Connect or equivalent enterprise-wide data/records management systems
- Familiarity with UVic programs, policies, procedures and business systems considered an asset
- 1-2 years related experience in a general office environment
Preference will be given for experience:
- In a post-secondary environment.
- Using large, complex enterprise-wide systems (e.g. FAST, WebReq, FMIS, Cascade or equivalents)
- Background in music and a working knowledge of music terminology
An equivalent combination of training, education and/or experience may be considered
Equity and Diversity Statement
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
COVID 19 On-Campus Requirements