Display End Date
Posting Period from
From 07-27-2022 to 08-10-2022
Full Time, Temporary
Monday - Friday, 35 hrs/week
Minimum Experience Required
1- 2 years
Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Operations
- Administrative support for the OIC’s, Managers and Supervisors within the uniformed divisions of the Department - Patrol Division and Community Services Division (CSD) - and their individual portfolios. Oversee the Law Enforcement Notifications (LENS) and Court Denotifications process to ensure court availability of police members. Create and maintain department scheduling.
- Build and maintain the master work schedules and leave requests for Patrol, CSD, Community Engagement Division (CED), and infrastructure (IT). Receive and process LENS for all sworn officers by entering information into the court computer system. Distribute LENS to appropriate division. Support officers to track and coordinate availability, conflicts, and denotifications on departmental scheduling software, noting reasons and date of denote and to ensure over-time is kept to a minimum. Record court over-time costs for budget information and submission to payroll. Track and submit weekly time sheets and other reports.Provide training to police officers on the department scheduling software. Respond to enquiries from staff, the public, other departments, and outside agencies by providing information regarding court schedules.
- Administrative support for the OIC’s and Supervisors of Patrol and CSD and their separate portfolios, including a variety of routine and confidential letters, memos, reports, legal documents, and transcribe and distribute meeting minutes. Compile statistical data for staffing, overtime tracking and officer deployment.
- Maintain divisional filing systems, financial records, schedule appointments and meetings and arrange facilities and travel.
- Transcription of multiple-voice recordings; administer audio/video recording transcription register, ensuring that priority requests are identified and processed; accordingly, create a variety of forms for use in the division and department and update as required
- Perform related duties where qualified.
- Work is performed according to established procedures or is assigned by Supervisor and designated staff.
- Work is reviewed upon completion.
- Issues such as release of information or deviations from established procedures are referred to Supervisor.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
- Lift and move heavy stationery supplies. (rare)
- Short periods of intense concentration while transcribing. (often)
- Meet court deadlines. (often)
- Deal with constant interruptions. (often)
- Focus on source data and VDT for short periods. (frequent)
- Listen to and transcribe multiple-voice interview recordings for long periods. (frequent)
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Type 60 wpm; working level operation of other computer software programs used within the Victoria Police Department, including MS Office 365 programs.
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Working level knowledge of JUSTIN Court Scheduling System.
- Familiarity with various acts and legislation, including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Information Management Act.
- Deal effectively with the public and outside agencies.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Accurately transcribe multi-voice interview recordings.
- Operate a variety of office equipment.
- Take and transcribe action minutes.
- Maintain accurate records.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- High school graduation.
- Secretarial course. (6 months)
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
- 2 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
$32.14/hr (pay grade 8) - 2021 rate.
This vacancy is due to an upcoming 18-month maternity leave.
The period for this externally posted position runs from July 27/2022 through August 10/2022.
All submissions must be received electronically by 4:30pm on the above closing date and should include all qualifications and experience relevant to this position.
This is a CUPE Local 50 position.